• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Torrents on EVO 4G

She is talking about downloading a zip file with every album by a particular artist.

Also, the bittorrent protocol has lots of pros and cons. Since it is distributed the way it is, you can download at really high speeds thanks to lots of individuals sharing bits of the total file at their own rate. Added up it can be great. I downloaded the latest Ubuntu ISO in about 3 minutes at work last week. Granted I get something sick like 90+ mbps when I run speed tests here but still...awesome.

But that wouldn't be a discorgraphy, now would it?

Also, zip files are not torrents... and now are we advocating downloading music illegally? Not permitted on the forum.

Upvote 0
But that wouldn't be a discorgraphy, now would it?

Also, zip files are not torrents... and now are we advocating downloading music illegally? Not permitted on the forum.

No I am not. I was just clarifying things. I am making no comment as to the legality of things other people are discussing. Typically, when people refer to torrenting a discography they are talking about using the bittorrent protocol to download a file or set of files comprising the collected works of a single artist. While I'm sure there are morally legit reasons to do this (bought the albums on old formats and can't rip, lost your old copies, etc.) I wasn't getting into legal or moral issues. Just technical ones.

Upvote 0
No I am not. I was just clarifying things. I am making no comment as to the legality of things other people are discussing. Typically, when people refer to torrenting a discography they are talking about using the bittorrent protocol to download a file or set of files comprising the collected works of a single artist. While I'm sure there are morally legit reasons to do this (bought the albums on old formats and can't rip, lost your old copies, etc.) I wasn't getting into legal or moral issues. Just technical ones.

I see. Well they are using the word inncorrectly then. But downloading 9 or 10 albums would take a little while lol... even on 4g. But to each their own I guess...

Oh and mrk, be sure to let me know how that turns out. Alwys been interested and read a few books but nothing major.

Upvote 0
+1

Says the guy with sub 50 posts and has yet(and can't) prove me wrong.

Ok troll. Not sure what your point is anymore because you keep posting random idiotic jargon.

Anyway. Lets keep this thread on track for a healthy discussion.

Upvote 0
downloading 9 or 10 albums would take a little while lol... even on 4g.

That is the nice thing about the Bittorrent protocol. Since it distributes the load across many people, you can download from lots of sources at once. This leads to some pretty nice top download rates. As an example, just the other day I downloaded a ~500mb file in a little under half and hour on my home Clear Wimax connection. At work where we have a really big pipe, I've downloaded whole ~700mb ISOs in 2-3 minutes.

Upvote 0
+1

Ok troll. Not sure what your point is anymore because you keep posting random idiotic jargon.

Anyway. Lets keep this thread on track for a healthy discussion.

Id hardly consider using the correct definition of words as "idiotic jargon"

Are you aware name calling is against forum policy? Calling me a "troll" still does not prove me wrong.

@neo

4g on a pc and 4g on a phone are two different animals... pc has much more processing power, and the 4g at home modem has more power/better antenna. But I am well aware of how bit torrent works =)

Upvote 0
Off topic and coming from a "sub 50 posts" guy, but just to clarify..

Discography
1 : a descriptive list of recordings by category, composer, performer, or date of release
2 : the history of recorded music

Discography - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Ah but your not calling people names or saying people are wrong without proof, now are you?

Also, that definition further solidifies my statement. Nowhere in that statement does it say it would include the actual physical media in those discographies.

@mrk.yes it should be completely up to me to decipher what someone really means when using an incorrect word for what they are trying to portray.

Go ahead and ignnore me. And the truth while your at it. Need a tin foil hat too?

Upvote 0
Ah but your not calling people names or saying people are wrong without proof, now are you?

Also, that definition further solidifies my statement. Nowhere in that statement does it say it would include the actual physical media in those discographies.

@mrk.yes it should be completely up to me to decipher what someone really means when using an incorrect word for what they are trying to portray.

Go ahead and ignnore me. And the truth while your at it. Need a tin foil hat too?

So by your logic and therefore in your mind, this entire post is about a rushing body of water. Youre a total idiot! Keep digging yourself into a deeper hole...

Upvote 0
Ok, so this thread is pretty much out of control...lets try to get back on track

A good way to do it might be to use one of these torrent remote control programs for your home PC and having the torrent's finished output be to your Dropbox directory which will allow you to access the file from your phone. I've never used the Dropbox app, but it sounds like that would be a reasonable use for it. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Upvote 0
So by your logic and therefore in your mind, this entire post is about a rushing body of water. Youre a total idiot! Keep digging yourself into a deeper hole...

Just wanted to add this for clarification.

BitTorrent definition networking A popular, distributed form of peer-to-peer file sharing that enables a client program to fetch different parts of a file (a "torrent") from different sources in parallel. The system is designed to encourage users to make downloaded data available for others to upload. This is aided by a scheme for exchanging unique identifiers, commonly stored in ".torrent" files. A downloader who does not serve data to others is called a "leech". A "seed" is a computer that has a complete copy of a file, possibly the original"

Bittorrent | Define Bittorrent at Dictionary.com

Upvote 0
So you wanna pick "general" definitions when it is convenient but when you get caught red handed with your stupid logic, you go out looking for technical definitions.

Maybe you should have looked for technical definitions from the beginning since you're on a tech site. Seriously if you don't know the subject at hand, then STFU instead of babbling mindless crap:

Generally speaking, a discography would be a text file or a small pdf... what are YOU. Talking about?

"A comprehensive list of the recordings made by a particular performer or of a particular composer's works."

Discography | Define Discography at Dictionary.com
(Your own source)

Upvote 0
So you wanna pick "general" definitions when it is convenient but when you get caught red handed with your stupid logic, you go out looking for technical definitions.

Maybe you should have looked for technical definitions from the beginning since you're on a tech site. Seriously if you don't know the subject at hand, then STFU instead of babbling:

"A comprehensive list of the recordings made by a particular performer or of a particular composer's works."

Discography | Define Discography at Dictionary.com
(Your own source)

Ok, good job on solidifying what I said. There is a difference between a LIST of works and the actual content. Just like the difference between a shopping LIST and what you get at the store.

I highly suggest you heed your own advice about knowing the subject at hand.

And since we've been asked to stop, and has nothing to do with the op, that's what I am going to do. Continue arguong with gravity if you so choose to.

To the op: I suppose bittorrenting or "torrenting" would be fine, as long as you have unlimted data, and are in 4g coverage at the time of torrenting.

Upvote 0
Ok, good job on solidifying what I said. There is a difference between a LIST of works and the actual content. Just like the difference between a shopping LIST and what you get at the store.

And since we've been asked to stop, and has nothing to do with the op, that's what I am going to do. Continue arguong with gravity if you so choose to.

To the op: I suppose bittorrenting or "torrenting" would be fine, as long as you have unlimted data, and are in 4g coverage at the time of torrenting.

Dude, I am the OP.

Upvote 0
Fyi an op can also mean opening post. I answered that. To expand on it, make sure you don't regularly exceed the 5gb softcap on 3g. Pretty sure unlimited data is only while on 4g. If you regularly exceed that data softcap, it could lead to contract termination, etf, and losing your phone number, or worse.

Upvote 0

I highly suggest you heed your own advice about knowing the subject at hand.

Its funny how you're the only person who keeps referring to discography as a list of songs in text while everyone else on this thread knows its a bunch of music files.

I'm stopping from this point on.

Upvote 0
Fyi an op can also mean opening post. I answered that. To expand on it, make sure you don't regularly exceed the 5gb softcap on 3g. Pretty sure unlimited data is only while on 4g. If you regularly exceed that data softcap, it could lead to contract termination, etf, and losing your phone number, or worse.

Theres no cap on data with the Evo, 4G or 3G. Thats part of what the $10/month pays for

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones