Touchscreen freaks out when plugged in - ongoing

Last Updated:

1. berodog1

berodog1 Member This Topic's Starter

First off - This has been going since I got the D1 shortly after launch.

Any time I have the phone plugged in or on a docking station, the touch screen seems to go pyscho. It never seems to select the icon I want, or randomly switches screen when I touch the screen briefly or doesn't do anything at all.

Would this fall under something I should take in and deal with on warranty or is this a common thing amongst them all. I am finally just getting tired of it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisement
  2. carassius

carassius Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem with a charger I purchased from monoprice...very similar. Phone worked fine when not plugged in and charged fine also.

If you're using the charger that came with the phone I would take it it and show them and ask for a different one. Or at least try a different one to see if it behaves differently.

EDIT: Don't know about the docking station though.

3. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

Motorola devices have always been finicky when it comes to chargers. I've had luck using LG and Samsung branded micro-USB chargers with my Droid.

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

As suggested above -- try another charger. Some cause interference with the screen.

5. kyleonfire

kyleonfire Well-Known Member

Do you have a case on yours? Mine goes crazy while charging if you have a case on it. Take the case off and you're good. Not sure why the case should affect touchscreen performance but it does.

6. jacwashere7

jacwashere7 Well-Known Member

experienced the same issues, changed chargers and it stopped

7. global2

global2 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with the charger (Verizon-issued with purchase of phone) plugged in - but not when it's on desk dock. I'll try another brand of charge, as suggested.

8. berodog1

berodog1 Member This Topic's Starter

I honestly doesn't matter if it has a case on it or not when using the wall charger that came with the phone. I have to remove the case anyways to use the desktop docking station. either way it still freaks out. I am just at the pointwhere I have been annoyed enough by it and was wondering. Thinks for the tips all and I will try them out and see wha happens.

9. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

been dealing with this - randomly - since day 1 with the desktop cradle. sometimes touching here presses there, moving screen means launching an app, etc. sometimes it is fine and no schizo behavior. NEVER have the issue with a stand alone cable into a wall or computer.

I understand it to be related to the power flow/current from an older thread.

seems less of an issue in 2.2 FWIW