Transfer Music from PC to N4 problemSupport

1. rdesbris2

rdesbris2 Active Member

I'm having trouble transferring music from my PC to the Nexus 4 through a USB cable. Is there some setting I have wrong?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Can you transfer any files at all or is the problem only with music files? What OS does your PC run? Have you referred to the N4 manual?

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0
  3. andrews317

andrews317 Well-Known Member

First time I tried I had an error that said that transfering the files could be useless because my device wouldn't be able to recognize them. I ignored, transfered, and played it in my N4 without any problems.
  4. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

rdesbris2 - to be of any help, we really need a bit more information about the symptoms: as well as the questions above, are you seeing any error messages, are you seeing the phone contents when you have the USB cable connected etc etc ..
  5. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I thought I posted this here already, but I'd try using AirDroid. It works over your wifi and you don't need a cable.
  6. Thats

Thats That guy is This VIP Member

Bris, the more information that you give us, the easier it will be for any of us to help you out. Hopefully you'll post back here soon so we can help you out! :)
  7. rdesbris2

rdesbris2 Active Member

I use 2 USB cables to connect the N4 and a Galaxy Note to the Windows 7 PC. Windows Explorer shows that both devices are connected and I can see the files and folders on both devices. However when I try to copy a music file from the Note to the N4 the copy process seems to "lock up" and the file is not transferred. When the transfer starts I get a message "Your file will be copied, but you may not be able to play it or view it on your device". The file starts to copy but it gets about 1/2 way and stalls.
  8. JunBringer

I'd put the files on the computer and then move them to the device. You computer might not like going from one device to another.
  9. rdesbris2

rdesbris2 Active Member

I copied the music files from the note to the PC. Then tried to copy them from the PC to the N4 with no success. It starts to transfer but get bogged down and does not complete the transfer.
  10. JunBringer

Make sure you unplug the Note before moving stuff to the Nexus. Also reboot everything as well, that could help.
  11. rdesbris2

rdesbris2 Active Member

Did that and the same result. An error message box pops up saying "your file will be copied but you might not be able to play it or see it on your device. " after a few minutes it times out and nothing is copied from the PC to the N4. I also tried to move a Word document to the N4 without success.
  12. JunBringer

13. john30308

john30308 Well-Known Member

Just suck them into the Google cloud via the Music desktop app. Then they are their for all your devices. You can download any playlist you want and keep it physically on the phone. I just made a playlist of all my music.
  14. rdesbris2

rdesbris2 Active Member

Unfortunately the Google Desktop Music Manager is not available in Canada apparently.
  15. john30308

john30308 Well-Known Member

Oooops - sorry dude.
  16. SiempreTuna

I found that I can only copy a few files at a time. If I try to copy more than maybe 10 files (+/- 40MB), I get a similar problem to the one described above. To get things working again, I have to disconnect the USB and reconnect.

Like I say, copying smaller numbers of files works fine.
  17. rdesbris2

rdesbris2 Active Member

I can't even transfer very small files.
    Could it be that I have an ADB or some other driver problem?
  18. jerald matthew

jerald matthew New Member

Hey I am also having the same problem did anyone figure it out I have been cracking my head...
  19. SiempreTuna

I also get that message - tick the box in the bottom left hand corner and then OK and it should be fine (if you don't tick the box first, you get the message for every file).

You hit OK (or whatever means continue) on the prompt above, right?

Dumb question, but you have tried different USB cables? I find those things are very delicate ..