• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tried Flashing Blackout ICS ROM- Now in big trouble

since you had to fastboot erase cache to get it to work,methinks that aroma was not properly wiping cache,wich seems supported by the quickness of the wipe you described. personally im not a fan of aroma,i prefer the "old school" way of simply flashing the rom and mods seperately in recovery. ive had my own share of not booting issues across devices on roms using aroma to install,so i understand the fustration.

as hadron and EM said,you have root access to 'system in most(if not all) custom roms.

however,wether or not you are "rooted" depends on your definition. some folks consider you not to be fully rooted unless you have access to everything,not just system,boot and recovery. your s on phone is still doing plenty of security checks,and htcdev's bootloader unlock,as youve discovered,leaves much to be desired if you like to flash different roms. while the prollems can be dealt with,leaving it entirely possible to be a flash-o-holic with s on,the DHD is an older device that is easily set to s-off.

youve allready htdev unlocked,wich is the first step. if youve any interest in s off,we have a guide here: http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...-s-off-simunlock-supercid-inspire-4g-dhd.html

just holler if you have any questions. :)

Upvote 0
OK.

So this could have been solved wiping cache and Dalvik from recovery?

I do both after nandroid restores and flashing incremental upgrades but this is the first I've heard of wiping cache to solve a boot up issue.

It's always something. :eek:

if the boot up issue was being caused by clutter/incompatible things in the /cache partition then id say a wipe of cache,dalvik and data should have sorted it just the same as fastboot erase cache

admittedly a dirty cache doesnt cause alot of bootup errors,so its an easy thing to overlook... good call by hadron for catching it :cool:

when i flash something on me s on tegra 3 one x:)mad:) i always fastboot erase cache prior to flashing the new boot image. i also do it when i flash pretty much anything via fastboot on my s off devices(recovery,hboot,etc)

a rom that wasnt using aroma,when youd have manually wiped data,cache and dalvik,should also have installed without issue.

Im just glad its working, I might leave off fiddling anymore until I get my one x back.

As I said before thank you guys so much so helpful and welcoming

no prollem at all on the help,thats why we are here :) dont blame you for not wanting to fiddle too much,its no good to not have a working phone! might be something to play with once your main phone is back

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones