• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

brettlewis

Android Expert
Nov 3, 2009
Arizona
I have read online a few time mention of a "triple flu" policy at Verizon that says if you have to get a replacement phone 3 times that they will give you a new phone of equal or lesser value for free. I for one have had a sort of bad luck streak with my droid and am currently on my fourth. I also would not be opposed to get a droid incredible as a payment for my troubles if it was free.

Has anyone else heard of such a rule, or has anyone successfully gotten a new phone this way?

Thank you

It was awhile back, and not a smartphone, but I had numerous Samsung Flipshots that I continuously had issues with. They mailed me 3 replacements, then after that started screwing up, I called pretty pissed. They refunded my NE2, allowed me to purchase a phone at the new contract price, and gave me back the amount for the Flipshot. I could exchange it for a same priced phone evenly, or pay the difference for something else. I opted for the LG Dare at that point in time.

Upvote 0
There used to be policies like ones others have mentioned in this thread. However, they all went away on 4/1/10. Now, all warranty replacement devices are the same model phone unless there are no more in stock for replacement. At that point, you can get a different model device as a replacement. No more 1 year pricing option, no more 3 replacement units in 90 days-get a new/different device.

Please note you also have the option to purchase a CPO device.

Upvote 0
There used to be policies like ones others have mentioned in this thread. However, they all went away on 4/1/10. Now, all warranty replacement devices are the same model phone unless there are no more in stock for replacement. At that point, you can get a different model device as a replacement. No more 1 year pricing option, no more 3 replacement units in 90 days-get a new/different device.

Please note you also have the option to purchase a CPO device.

where did you get this info from? and what is CPO?

Upvote 0
I've done the above a few times over the years, moving from one model to another after 3+ replacements, but I've always had better luck by calling customer support, coming to an agreement there and having them note my account. Then walking into the local VZW store and just telling them to look at my account. The phone support always seems willing to do things that the local store won't..

Doc

Upvote 0
I've done the above a few times over the years, moving from one model to another after 3+ replacements, but I've always had better luck by calling customer support, coming to an agreement there and having them note my account. Then walking into the local VZW store and just telling them to look at my account. The phone support always seems willing to do things that the local store won't..

Doc
I totally agree. When returning my daughters phone for the third time (LG Envy) they tried to trade downward, and all the arguing in the world would not fix it. One call to customer support and they noted my account. Man were they pissed when I came back two hours later and told them to check the notes. :)

Upvote 0
The info about previously have 3 replacements within 90 days and the option to get a new phone, used to be the policy. The 'Mulit Fru' policy was discontinued Jan 18 2010 and any warranty replacements will be of the same model unless out of stock for that model and then a refurbished phone of simliar features/capabilities per a replacement matrix available to the reps. As of April 1 2010 you also have the option if out of warranty/no insurance to purchase a Certified PreOwned (CPO) device with no contract extension or change of upgrade eligibility if not eligible for upgrade. You can not use a CPO purchase to get to a different phone even after 3 replacements.

00smurf

Upvote 0
jesus what are you people doing to your phones that you have gone through more of them than a roll of toilet paper?

Are you kidding?? i have been through like 7 or 8 blackberry 9530's and i treat the sucker like a baby... some phones just plain aren't engineered well. i cant wait for the incredible so i can do this to my 9530, or just hawk it on eBay. it will be one of the two.

Reactions: odiej34
Upvote 0
I have read online a few time mention of a "triple flu" policy at Verizon that says if you have to get a replacement phone 3 times that they will give you a new phone of equal or lesser value for free. I for one have had a sort of bad luck streak with my droid and am currently on my fourth. I also would not be opposed to get a droid incredible as a payment for my troubles if it was free.

Has anyone else heard of such a rule, or has anyone successfully gotten a new phone this way?

Thank you

After buying the Razr V3C from Verizon just a few months before the V3M came out, I coincidentally had some system files "deleted" that allowed me to upgrade to the latter.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones