• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Trouble with Updating Firmware and other stuff - Galaxy S

Hi

I got my sister's 2 year old Samsung Galaxy S2 off her last week and have been battling ever since.

I need to unlock it. It's currently with Orange UK. I tried following a couple of guides about rooting it, and got completely confused when it came to kernels and there was a whole list of different numbers and I had no idea what to do.

So I went with GSM Liberty and got an unlock code which didn't work. After waiting a day, my case being escalated and them not bothering to respond, I gave up and got a refund.

Am now looking again before I take it into town and get someone to do it for me. I realise that I need to update my firmware as it appears, I'm guessing from the number it currently is, is very out of date. My sister's not tech savvy at all so won't have done anything except use it. I am, but admit when it comes to this, I am very out of my depth and have never had an Android before.

I have Kies but I get a message saying that Kies is unable to update my firmware, so have done a number of searches to tell me how to do it without Kies. I'm guessing from what I've read here and elsewhere that Kies is pretty rubbish, but have seen a number of other pieces of software, but am unsure which are okay and which may be dodgy.

I read through the Dummies guide to updating firmware on this forum and couldn't find my CSC code anywhere on it so guessed I shouldn't go any further.

Please can anybody help?

Below is all the information I think you may need, but let me know if you need anything else.

PDA: I9000BVJS4
Phone: I9000BVJP4
CSC: I9000ORAJS4
Build Info: 2011 . 02
Firmware: 2.2.1
Build number: FROYO.BVJS4

I'm using Mac OSX, Lion 10.7.5

Hi. I, and my husband (who is way more technical than me) have spent hours trying to sort this, but have gotten more and more confused and the things we have tried don't work so have had to admit defeat. I'm going to have to take it into my town centre and just pay to get it unlocked there. Perhaps the firmware, if I need it, will upgrade then.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones