• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Trying to flash CM kitkat 4.4.4 on Epic 4g Touch ICS 4.0.4 Fl24

Gldrz1

Android Enthusiast
May 20, 2013
I really hope someone can help me, just got this phone then rooted it using framaroot and installed recovery agat but i heard about some sort of brickbug, now i downloaded an app that would check for this bug turns out it does have it just wanna know how to go about it if anyone please has any idea on how to proceed i'd appreciate it thanks.

EDIT-- Just realized you were on rooted ICS. You caused yourself some extra work by doing that. First thing you'll have to do is unroot that bad boy. Follow this guide... to restore FL24 (before doing this you can search on how to obtain your MSL if you want, I won't go into that as it is drawn out, and somewhat of a pain to do. You can proceed with or without it, doesn't matter.)
---Restore FL24---
http://androidforums.com/threads/how-to-un-brick-and-un-root-your-epic-4g-touch.705732/

After you are back to stcok FL24 go to the samsung site below and follow instructions to upgrade to Jellybean.
---Upgrade to Jellybean---
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SPH-D710ZWASPR#manualsDownloads

Proceed below only after you are on a Jelly Bean rom. :)
---EDIT

Here you go bud. Check these links out. Hope it helps. Any one file you are looking for is in the first link. But if I were you, I would just follow the directions in the second link.

The last link goes to youtube and gives you a visual of what you will be doing, all the files can be found in the other links.

The second link should sort you out completely if you follow it. It also has the links to the files that you need. I would suggest reading all the way through the post on the second link, as there is quite a bit of useful information there. If you use the tutorial in the second link, make sure you are on a GB27/GB28/GC01 rom(depending on your carrier) and your phone is charged.

---Just files---
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1903252

---Complete walk through and all files needed---
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2637510

--PS here's a youtube video to make it even easier just follow it and use the files from the other links---

There are a number of ways to do this, but this is the only way that I know , that will NOT give you the yellow triangle.
Hope it helps, and if it does, don't be afraid to hit the like button for my post. Peace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gldrz1
Upvote 0
EDIT-- Just realized you were on rooted ICS. You caused yourself some extra work by doing that. First thing you'll have to do is unroot that bad boy. Follow this guide... to restore FL24 (before doing this you can search on how to obtain your MSL if you want, I won't go into that as it is drawn out, and somewhat of a pain to do. You can proceed with or without it, doesn't matter.)
---Restore FL24---
http://androidforums.com/threads/how-to-un-brick-and-un-root-your-epic-4g-touch.705732/

After you are back to stcok FL24 go to the samsung site below and follow instructions to upgrade to Jellybean.
---Upgrade to Jellybean---
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SPH-D710ZWASPR#manualsDownloads

Proceed below only after you are on a Jelly Bean rom. :)
---EDIT

Here you go bud. Check these links out. Hope it helps. Any one file you are looking for is in the first link. But if I were you, I would just follow the directions in the second link.

The last link goes to youtube and gives you a visual of what you will be doing, all the files can be found in the other links.

The second link should sort you out completely if you follow it. It also has the links to the files that you need. I would suggest reading all the way through the post on the second link, as there is quite a bit of useful information there. If you use the tutorial in the second link, make sure you are on a GB27/GB28/GC01 rom(depending on your carrier) and your phone is charged.

---Just files---
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1903252

---Complete walk through and all files needed---
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2637510

--PS here's a youtube video to make it even easier just follow it and use the files from the other links---

There are a number of ways to do this, but this is the only way that I know , that will NOT give you the yellow triangle.
Hope it helps, and if it does, don't be afraid to hit the like button for my post. Peace.
I truly appreciate your quick response i can definitely unroot the phone using framaroot , now my question is will the fact that i have a custom kernel hinder the Jelly Bean upgrade? since that's what the agat recovery did when it was flashed came with a custom kernel. thank u very much again.

Upvote 0
Here is a link to safe kernels. http://www.rwilco12.com/downloads.p...rint) (SPH-D710)/Kernels/Recovery Kernels/ICS sorry for the direct link rwilco12, I'm in a bit of a rush.
Anyways rwilco12 repository has safe kernels, I used a source built one from agat and it worked fine, but its been a long while ago since I did any of this. I gotta go, so just do some research and you'll be fine.

This phone isn't like most android devices. It is a bit of a bitch to get just about anything done on it.
I would suggest writing down your MIN, and My phone number in about phone status. I would also run Ktool from the play store and backup your EFS https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.hellcat.droiddev.ktool. I would also download APN backup Restore https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.APNBackupRestore , and backup your APN settings. And you can also get your MSL before continuing any further. But you'll have to search yourself on how to get that. It's a bit of a pain.

**But do NOT just unroot with framaroot. Upgrading to Jelly bean with a custom kernel installed will more than likely brick your device.**

After backing up your data as suggested above, just follow the unroot/unbrick link that I gave you. Then upgrade to Jelly Bean per the Samsung link. Finally follow the walkthrough and you should be good to go.

Upvote 0
That kernel should be ok. I'm not exactly sure though. If you want to be on the safe side use the top link in my last post and download a tar file for a an agat63 source built kernel. I'd just scroll down and use the latest one. I think its 6.8 or something like that. Or you can use Garwyns Stp plus Agat version if you'd like. It's also available from that link. Seems like the exact version you have is listed there.

I can't remember the exact kernel I used was. But I do have a nandroid backup labeled as being Backed up with Agat63 kernel version 0.5, so I know that version will allow you to nandroid backup(don't see why the updated 0.68 version wouldn't work just the same). Been awhile since I did this and it took shit tons of research for me to piece together exactly the right versions of what to use. **You're probably gonna have to read around a bit to make sure you get what you want. **

Just make sure you use the unroot link that I gave you to flash back to stock before you upgrade to Jelly Bean. Otherwise possible brickidge.

Upvote 0
That kernel should be ok. I'm not exactly sure though. If you want to be on the safe side use the top link in my last post and download a tar file for a an agat63 source built kernel. I'd just scroll down and use the latest one. I think its 6.8 or something like that. Or you can use Garwyns Stp plus Agat version if you'd like. It's also available from that link. Seems like the exact version you have is listed there.

I can't remember the exact kernel I used was. But I do have a nandroid backup labeled as being Backed up with Agat63 kernel version 0.5, so I know that version will allow you to nandroid backup(don't see why the updated 0.68 version wouldn't work just the same). Been awhile since I did this and it took shit tons of research for me to piece together exactly the right versions of what to use. **You're probably gonna have to read around a bit to make sure you get what you want. **

Just make sure you use the unroot link that I gave you to flash back to stock before you upgrade to Jelly Bean. Otherwise possible brickidge.
Got it, one thing thou so ur saying not to unroot with framaroot even though was rooted using it right? do you think that could brick it?

Upvote 0
No unrooting that way shouldn't hurt anything that I know of. But just because you unroot, which I'm assuming just deletes the su binary, doesn't mean you have a stock kernel/recovery reinstalled. Now if framaroot re-installs a stock kernel/recovery then sure your good to go. I just don't think that it does that. You can use the device just fine with a non-stock kernel/recovery, you just DO NOT want to upgrade to jellybean without first having a stock FL24 kernel/recovery installed first. That's all. Basically if all you care about is upgrading to CM11, and not taking a nandroid first, then all you need to do is follow my directions in my very first post. That will get you to where you want to be.

But I would definitely backup my APNs and EFS first if you plan to put/keep service on the device. It can save your ass if things go wrong somewhere. If you're just using it as a wifi device, then even that is not necessary.

If it were me, I would install a custom FL24 source kernel such as the Agats63 first. Then I would run that little brickbug checker program that you have to make sure it is a safe recovery. Next I would boot into recovery make a nandroid backup from within that now known to be good recovery. Then I would backup my APNs and EFS as per my previous instructions. I would then copy the nandroid backup, APN settings, and EFS backup off of the phone and to my computer BEFORE I unrooted the device back to stock GB27.

After that I would use the unroot directions from the link that I gave you to get you back to stock. From there I would visit the Samsung site and upgrade to Jelly Bean per their instructions. Now that you are on stock GB27 rom I would follow the walkthrough that I gave you in the first post. If you follow the directions exactly you'll end up with another nandroid of your new GB27 stock rom, and you will have also installed CM11 onto your device.

It's all there in the posts. But if you find another tutorial that you like better, then use it. Like I said there are many ways to skin this cat. The way I listed just happens to be the only way that I know how to do it where you don't wind up having the yellow triangle on every boot. Keep reading and I'm sure you'll get it. Good luck. Peace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No unrooting that way shouldn't hurt anything that I know of. But just because you unroot, which I'm assuming just deletes the su binary, doesn't mean you have a stock kernel/recovery reinstalled. Now if framaroot re-installs a stock kernel/recovery then sure your good to go. I just don't think that it does that. You can use the device just fine with a non-stock kernel/recovery, you just DO NOT want to upgrade to jellybean without first having a stock FL24 kernel/recovery installed first. That's all. Basically if all you care about is upgrading to CM11, and not taking a nandroid first, then all you need to do is follow my directions in my very first post. That will get you to where you want to be.

But I would definitely backup my APNs and EFS first if you plan to put/keep service on the device. It can save your ass if things go wrong somewhere. If you're just using it as a wifi device, then even that is not necessary.

If it were me, I would install a custom FL24 source kernel such as the Agats63 first. Then I would run that little brickbug checker program that you have to make sure it is a safe recovery. Next I would boot into recovery make a nandroid backup from within that now known to be good recovery. Then I would backup my APNs and EFS as per my previous instructions. I would then copy the nandroid backup, APN settings, and EFS backup off of the phone and to my computer BEFORE I unrooted the device back to stock GB27.

After that I would use the unroot directions from the link that I gave you to get you back to stock. From there I would visit the Samsung site and upgrade to Jelly Bean per their instructions. Now that you are on stock GB27 rom I would follow the walkthrough that I gave you in the first post. If you follow the directions exactly you'll end up with another nandroid of your new GB27 stock rom, and you will have also installed CM11 onto your device.

It's all there in the posts. But if you find another tutorial that you like better, then use it. Like I said there are many ways to skin this cat. The way I listed just happens to be the only way that I know how to do it where you don't wind up having the yellow triangle on every boot. Keep reading and I'm sure you'll get it. Good luck. Peace.

I still have this device, although I'm not using it anymore. It is perfectly safe to use Odin to reflash stock, even on a custom kernel, rom and recovery. Just make sure you use the correct tar file. You should still be able to find them at rwilco's depository. Once you Odin back to stock ICS, you'll need to use Odin to flash correct bootloader for Jellybean. There a thread on xda detailing the problem, just search for it. Once you have the correct bootloader, use Odin once again to flash to stock Jellybean, then use framaroot to root and flash the agat custom kernel and recovery for Jellybean. The problem with that device is that the kernel and recovery are tied together, you can't flash one without flashing the other.

Upvote 0
I still have this device, although I'm not using it anymore. It is perfectly safe to use Odin to reflash stock, even on a custom kernel, rom and recovery. Just make sure you use the correct tar file. You should still be able to find them at rwilco's depository. Once you Odin back to stock ICS, you'll need to use Odin to flash correct bootloader for Jellybean. There a thread on xda detailing the problem, just search for it. Once you have the correct bootloader, use Odin once again to flash to stock Jellybean, then use framaroot to root and flash the agat custom kernel and recovery for Jellybean. The problem with that device is that the kernel and recovery are tied together, you can't flash one without flashing the other.

Correct it is safe to use Odin. That is exactly what the unroot tutorial that I referenced uses to flash back to stock. However I referenced him to the official Samsung site to upgrade from ICS to JellyBean(it will update recovery,modem,bootloader and rom all in one shot). In that instance I certainly wouldn't suggest continuing without first having a stock recovery flashed. (which is what the unroot tutorial shows you how to do in Odin)

Perhaps you didn't understand that I was stressing the fact of not upgrading through the Samsung site, with a non stock kernel/recovery. Not that you couldn't do so with Odin. Because the unroot tutorial that I linked clearly uses Odin to revert to stock rom and kernel/recovery, while he is still on a custom recovery. I just wanted to make sure there was no chance of any bricks happening, if he updated through the Samsung site as suggested. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones