• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trying to install custom ROM for first time.

smoats29

Lurker
Feb 1, 2014
I am trying to install a custom rom on my rooted Ellipsis 7 (it was a gift, please don't judge :p) using Rom Manager and I'm trying to setup a custom recovery. It's not listed and is asking if i have installed a ClockworkMod based recovery manually. How do I do that?

Under the recovery already installed menu though it lists "Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP)" What is that and can I use it if I can't do something with CLockworkMod recovery?

Also what Custom Rom would you guys recommend for a newbie like me?

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

So I Just checked out TWRP's site and it doesn't support my device either. Are there any other options for a custom recovery?

I am trying to install a custom rom on my rooted Ellipsis 7 (it was a gift, please don't judge :p) using Rom Manager and I'm trying to setup a custom recovery. It's not listed and is asking if i have installed a ClockworkMod based recovery manually. How do I do that?

Under the recovery already installed menu though it lists "Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP)" What is that and can I use it if I can't do something with CLockworkMod recovery?

Also what Custom Rom would you guys recommend for a newbie like me?

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

So I Just checked out TWRP's site and it doesn't support my device either. Are there any other options for a custom recovery?

It's better to not use things like Rom Manager unless you know for sure that your device is supported. You risk bricking otherwise. If a recovery had been ported to your device, you should be able to find instructions for installing it.

To boot into recovery, power off the device first. Then power it back on holding Power + volume down + home(if you have one). If TWRP is installed you should be good to go.

Make a Nandroid backup before you go further. And do this backup in recovery. Not by using an app for the already mentioned reasons.

Find a custom ROM for your device. And only your device. If it's not for your device, you might brick or boot loop.

Upvote 0
Cool you already have custom recovery.
Am i right in thinking Rom Manager only supports ClockworkMod recovery?

I agree with SulkyAndroid that apps like rom manager arent a great way to flash roms

Yep your right

Rom manager should be avoided rather than used.

Much safer just to flash backup etc straight from recovery rather than within an app.

Unless it's 4ext recovery (htc) <<<loved that recovery on my evo 3d

Upvote 0
Tbh youre maybe just lucky to get this far (rooted with custom recovery) on a device like that.
If you cant find a rom for it, search for "Xposed Installer apk" and install that beast (im an xposed fanboy)
My rooted nexus tab is on stock rom but Xposed Framework does everything for me a custom rom can do :)

Upvote 0
I didn't come across much either. But I think I found the subforums for your device. Is it on verizon? Either way it's maybe worth checking out in the future. If you have root and a recovery, it may only be a matter of time before a ROM pops up.

Verizon Ellipsis
Verizon Ellispsis: All Things Root Guide

Upvote 0
Anybody has had any luck on this? i have one myself i got today but furthest i got was rooting with kingroot

This thread is over 2 years old so not sure anyone who's posted will be of any help.

What phone do you have as the method for installing the recovery is generally different depending on your device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones