• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[TUT] How to force install apps to SD card without ROOT!!!

You can use the search in windows and type adb.exe in all files search. once you find the file listed, rightclick on the file and click "open containing folder". once the folder opens, copy the file path, paste it in the command prompt and then enter adb devices and adb shell. you are getting this error, because adb is not in the same folder which you are trying to access.

Upvote 0
You need to write the exact path,mine was totally different to that as I installed it in a different place,for me it was C:/Program Files/Android/android-sdk/platformtool error s

as per your instructions, I downlosded and installed SDK. when i started the command prompt, i enter the text as instructed by you. but an error is coming .
it shows - android is not recognised as internal or external command, operable program or batch file..
The exact path of installing it on my laptop is C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools.
and when i type this path in command prompt after ">", it shows error. i also typed cd after ">"
if i type "cd C:\Program Files" then it shows normal next para. if i type "cd C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools, it shows error

Please help. what should i do now

Upvote 0
I went through those steps,i hope i don everything right, but i'm stucked.
When i'm in command prompt and i type in "cd C:\android\platform" (that's where i installed it. without the "" of course.) nothing pops out. Then I write in "adb devices" and error shows. It says :

*daemon not running, starting it now on port 5037*
ADB server didn't ACK
*failed to start daemon*
error: cannot connect to daemon

I tried everything multiple times, restarted PC, put USB out and back in, re-do all steps, tried to look for it on google, tried to turn of antivirus, Kies, Firewall, everything.

Please someone help me, I'm trying to work this for 2 days, still some kind of error i get. I'm a step away from crying.

btw. Got Samsung Ace GT-S5830i , Android version 2.3.6

Upvote 0
when typing these:

"cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools"
"adb devices"
"adb shell"
"pm setInstallLocation 2"

into command prompt, what do I put between the lines??
Is it cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\adb devices
or cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb devices
or cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools adb devices

thanks in advance :D :D

Upvote 0
Hi

I have just stumbled across this thread whilst looking for ways to force install apps to sd card without rooting,I get so far in the process, but then I can't get beyond the "adb" request.I keep getting an error saying doesn't recognise the prompt.I have tried every way of carrying out this process with no positive outcome.I have accessed the sdk manager, and installed "usb driver version 7", however cannot find version 5 in the remaining list, have I got the wrong "Android sdk" installer?

I really need to free up space on my internal memory, and this is starting to frustrate me,as I am following everything by the letter.....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I have a HTC Desire

Upvote 0
Hello.
I would just like to warn other people like me that want to try this that the solution mentioned here damaged my phone.
I followed the directions exactly and when i opened it, it kept restarting staying at the logo screen.
I had to return it to the shop and they installed the rom again [everything was gone, i had to restore my backup].
So, if you have Samsung Galaxy Ace, think hard before trying this. That`s my opinion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones