• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tutorials, Roms, Team MarvelUSc -- EVERYTHING YOU NEED

All I can think of is to try flashing the recovery again...
Nah, I'd start by flashing a RUU from here:
[ROM]Shipped Marvel ROM Collection - xda-developers

Make sure you download the correct one for your phone. This will reset your phone back to stock, as well as replace any FUBAR'd recovery you have installed. You'll have to install custom recovery again. I suggest getting that from here:
[RECOVERY - UPDATE] Unofficial ClockworkMod Recovery v.5.0.2.6 - xda-developers

Click the link that says "Updated Version". This will download ClockWork Mod 5.0.2.6, but save it as the file "PG716.img". Take that file and put it in the root of your SD card with NOTHING else on the SD card.

Shut down your phone. Just yank the battery. Hold volume down, and then hold the power button until your phone turns on and gets to a white screen with a bunch of writing on it. It will automatically perform an update check and find the "PG716.img" file you put on the SD card. When it asks, select "yes" that you would indeed like to perform this update. Once its done, it reboots the phone. LET IT REBOOT AND YANK THE BATTERY!!!!!!!! Take the SD card out and put it in your computer. Delete "PG716.img" off the SD card. Put it back in your phone, boot holding volume down and power. Select "Recovery" after it does its update check.

I can't stress enough that you MUST remove the "PG716.img" file from your SD card or you will NEVER boot into recovery. Everytime you hold volume down and power to boot into "hboot" it WILL AUTOMATICALLY FIND AND ATTEMPT TO INSTALL "PG716.img" FILE! (This might have been your original issue lol)

Welcome to CWM custom recovery!

Upvote 0
I'm learning about the WS, it's a little bit of a different animal from my Optimus V. More involved in rooting it. I'm still not entirely happy with it's performance so far, so I'm still shopping for the "right" Rom for her. I'm biding my time until CM7 or CM9 are ready for the WS. :D
I loved my Optimus M, it just hated me. Always had a reboot problem that I couldnt get to go away. Eventually I gave up on it and "upgraded" to the Wildfire S. Lets be honest... Its the exact same phone with a better camera and harder to work with.

I just haven't been impressed with this low-level phone.

Upvote 0
The device is more standard better camera and flash has sense and a better screen. I paid the same for both phones, 149. Well wfs was a gift but they bought it for that. I enjoy the challenge even though I rage quit quite often. It's interesting to learn. If you guys want I can try to get a PORT of alquez up if someone wants it. Mms won't work and I'm not fond of dealing with roam indicator so keep it all in mind. Cam would work that's it

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I don't understand what's going wrong... the steps on my end don't quite match the steps above, but I was finally able to get the s-off done successfully... I'm still not able to root the phone though. And, suddenly, my HTC Sync doesn't recognize my phone anymore. When I use SuperOneClick to attempt root, nothing happens, and the program says "Not Responding" ... What is the purpose of all the files in the zip with SuperOneClick, do any of them belong on the phone or SD card before any certain step? (Wildfire S [Virgin Mobile])

Upvote 0
No its not, its protection to prevent unzipping by anything except our phones. Its something HTC created to prevent unothorized modifying, but we cracked it

How do I take advantage of this crack? because the Instructions say to browse into the unzipped file from Device Manager to update drivers, but I cannot get into it...

Upvote 0
S-Off:
Prerequisites: Windows, A USB cord for your phone, HTC Drivers, which are installed with the HTC Sync software, USB DEBUGGING ENABLED, and two files i will mention in the directions.
1) Download the files attached below WHERE ARE THE FILES? I CANT FIND THEM!!!
plzz dude need them :/ much thanks if u can get them to me or somthing

Upvote 0
S-Off:
Prerequisites: Windows, A USB cord for your phone, HTC Drivers, which are installed with the HTC Sync software, USB DEBUGGING ENABLED, and two files i will mention in the directions.
1) Download the files attached below WHERE ARE THE FILES? I CANT FIND THEM!!!
plzz dude need them :/ much thanks if u can get them to me or somthing
Chillax. They're right here:
[TUTORIAL][S-OFF] Virgin Mobile CDMA S-OFF Without XTC-Clip Confirmed Working! - xda-developers

Download "SimpleGoldCard_V1.zip" and "Diag Files.rar". Then follow the instructions in the S-OFF guide.

Upvote 0
dose this work for metro pcs wildfire s?
ATTENTION: We are now on rom manger, check there for updates and the latest team marvelusc roms. Enjoy!

UPDATE:: 2-21-12
marvelcrom2.0.zip

My first team rom
Anything-but-stock sense

zipaligned
apps2sd (darktremors) and gui app
link2sd is an option
usb and wifi tether (stock htc with restrictions removed)
hardware accelerated
totally reworked boot.img ramdisk and kernel
overclock to 802mhz
removed all bloat and traces of VM
fixed boot animations
smooth rom
deodexed (supports themes)

Probably more i missed, this is a big update. It is bugless
taking bugreports at simonsimons34@live.com take a screenshot (if possible) get a logcat from adb, and explain the problem.
Thanks
Follow all driections and leave a thanks and a comment :)

PRL Hack

Standard warning: Im not liable for ANY of your screw ups causing a semi-bricked phone

S-Off:
1) Download the files attached below
2) unrar the diag files, and unzip simple gold card.
3) BACK UP YOUR SD CARD, NOT AN OPTION!!!!!
4) Open simplegoldcard.exe in the unzipped file, and run as administrator in windows vista or 7
5) Plug your BACKED UP phone into your computer, enable disk mode
6) Select your phones device letter and select FORMAT SD CARD
7) Change your phone to Charge Only now
8) Select MMC1 in step three and click GetCID and copy it into the web page that the program links to and fill out the capatcha
9) Download the immage file
10) Go to step 5, load the immage you just downloaded
11) Place phone into disk drive mode, and click patch MMC
12) you have a working gold card now!
smile.gif

13) Place these files on the ROOT of your Goldcard, PG76DIAG.nbh and PG76DIAG.zip DONT EXTRACT THE ZIP
14) Once that has been done power off your phone and pull the battery for a good 5 seconds just to make sure it's completely off.
15) Boot into HBOOT by holding Volume down while pressing the power button (you do not need to hold the power button, only hold the volume down button) The HBOOT screen will boot up and then you can let go of the Volume down button.
16) The phone will automatically scan the SD card for the files we just put on the root of the SD card and will start the update process.
17) A screen will appear that says Clean s58. Press the power button once to select clean s58 and the phone will start doing it's thing and should take about a good 20 seconds until it's finished.
18) Once the process is complete then pull the battery to turn the phone off.
19) Remove the SD card from the phone, then boot into HBOOT again (VOL DWN AND POWER, if you cant remember
wink.gif

20) It should now say S-OFF at the top of the screen, you can now do much more with your phone. Just pull the battery and boot like normal.
Alternate: 2fast4u88: his thread is here

Root:
Prerequisites: Windows, USB Cable, USB Debugging, files I mention in the directions, and S-OFF
This one thanks to CLShortFuse for the file
1) Download this and run as administrator
2) Make sure your drivers are installed and you have your phone on charge only and USB debugging enabled
3) make sure auto is selected in the Exploit
4) Click root, and wait
5) If it says do you want to test, click yes
6) If it wants to install Busy-box click yes
7) Your now rooted, enjoy

Custom Recovery:
Prerequisites: S-off, Fast boot in the settings menu OFF, Root (as far as I know, you may not need root)
1) Keep your gold card from when we got your Wildfire to S-off
2) Download PG76IMG.zip DO NOT unzip (thanks 2fast4u88 for the recovery)
3) Now move this file to the root of your gold card UNZIPPED
4) Pull the battery
5) Put the battery back in and hold the Vol DWN rocker and power button, then install the Zip with up arrow.
6) Wait for the update symbol to go away, and your done. Pull the battery out, and boot like normal. You MUST delete this zip to boot into custom recovery. Custom recovery is accessed by the VOL DWN and Power then down to recovery then power. Your now in our new recovery.
This guide is created by me, however I DIDN'T create the recovery file, a Dev I can not find the name to did. It is tested, and 100% working

Link2Sd:
1) Download Link 2 SD from the market, its the blue sd card
2) Download a program called Mini tool Partition Wizard (thanks to Lumify) in windows, or use disk tools in Linux
2b) Plug your phone into your computer, set for disk mode
3) Partition your SD card for a second partition, Fat 32, primary
4) Put your phone into charge only, or eject and unplug
5) Go to Link2sd and select fat 32/16 create mount script
6) Reboot your phone
7) Go through and move all your apps to the new partition
8) Enjoy your new-found space
smile.gif

Change PRL for faster Internet and better signal:
You must download QPST, the PRL file, an app on the phone and be rooted:
1) download this on the phone https://market.android.com/details?i...code.msl&hl=en
2) Open the app, and accept the superuser request.
3) Tap read MSL
4) Write down your MSL, you'll need it
5) Go to the phone app, dial ##PORT# and hit on, then select.
6) Enter your MSL and click OK
7) Plug into a computer and download HTC diag drivers attached to this thread
8) Go ahead and Google and download QPST
9) Download and unzip the attached 60681.zip
10) Now for fun,
wink.gif
If anything confuses you, Google it.
10B) go to the device manager, and select the unknown HTC device, then update driver. then browse>let me pick from a list>have disk>go to downloaded unzipped folder>choose the appropriate folder for your OS type>click the driver. Now open, next, yes, close. Right click HTC Modem, and go to Properties>Advanced port settings>see what your COM port is
10C)Open QPST CONFIGURATION and select port. then add port, here you type the port your HTC MODEM is on.
10D) Your phone will now show up, and you will click start client>service programing
11) click your device and OK.
12) DO EXACTLY AS I SAY NOW! NOTHING ELSE!!! NO LOOKING AROUND!!!!!!!
13) Click read from phone, Give it the MSL you wrote down
14) Now click save to file
15) Click roam
16) Click browse where it says file and in that you put the 60681.prl you downloaded AND unzipped
17) Write to phone. THIS WILL RESTART THE PHONE, BOOT MAY TAKE A WHILE DON'T PANIC
18) Enjoy faster Internet
smile.gif

Safe update list- UPDATE TO 11-25-11 IS SAFE, can still root and s-off

ANY IDEAS COMMENT, WELL ADD THEM IF THERES A NEED

Upvote 0
i have my boot lock unlocked... i tryed to do the root with th s on and to no avail. i got the rooted screen but no su app just gotta double check that it will work with hboot 1.10.0000? will this method root or not? u say and soon root.... and how do u back up? by htc sync?
Yes, they do.

For bootloader unlock, S-OFF, recovery, and (soon) root, see this:
[UTILITY] Simon's Wildfires Utility v1 - xda-developers

Should do everything for you one click. ;)

Upvote 0
i have my boot lock unlocked... i tryed to do the root with th s on and to no avail. i got the rooted screen but no su app just gotta double check that it will work with hboot 1.10.0000? will this method root or not? u say and soon root.... and how do u back up? by htc sync?

Yes it works on hboot 1.10.0000.

No it won't root. (Yet. Exploit in the works)

For now, all you can backup is the SD card. Or you can install a custom ROM that's already rooted and backup with titanium backup.

Custom ROMs are on the first page if this thread with guide to install it.

Upvote 0
im having some trouble, if anyone could help me out.. i just need to be pointed in the right direction.. ive seen over 3-4 different ways of rooting this phone with no specific detailed instructions for my situation.. i have a metro pcs htc wildfire s, just want to root it.. but i read that i nedd s-off, so that is my goal right now and i cant seem to find a working method, think maybe im doing something wrong.. lol so does anyone have a prefered guide that could help me accomplish this goal?

Upvote 0
Simonsimon34 has a method that works, check his thread with the Virgin Mobile Rom, and just do the gold card part.
This is that thread. ;)

I posted some pretty detailed instructions in the posts above, ldrifta. Download the files from the post above with "Simple_Gold_Card_Creator_V1". Use those files and then follow the "S-OFF" guide in the first page.

Or, use the utility I posted earlier. Here it is again, just in case...

[UTILITY] Simon's Wildfires Utility v1 - xda-developers

You CANT root with the utility, but it will unlock your bootloader and then S-OFF, and then install custom recovery. From there, you can install a rooted custom ROM. (There's a rooted stock MetroPCS ROM around.)

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones