• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Tv output from 3.5 mm port?

jgreetham

May 3, 2010
Has anyone tried the TV output from the 3.5 mm port? Many of the exercise machines at the Y have a TV external input jack. I found the docs on the devices and it appears to be a standard four wire a/v connection. I found a m-m cable for ~$13. including postage.
Thanks,

Yes, works for the most part. Certain items will not work however. Avatar and any DRM items will not play. The Camera would not display either. I have not tried after the 2.2 update, so maybe it will let the camera display. Videos play at standard NTSC resolutions, so don't expect HD quality.

I don't have the cable with me now, but if you wait till tomorrow, I tell you if games work with the video out.

Kevin

Reactions: jgreetham
Upvote 0
As I promised, here is what I tried on my phone. Any camera app does not work with the cable ie the stock camera apps and Qik. I was hoping this would have changed with 2.2 but it is not the case. Also DRM stuff is still locked out [Avatar].

Aside from those limitations, everything you have on the phone display will appear on the TV. Landscape images/apps/displays will fill the TV screen while portrait ones leaves 2 large black boxes on the sides. PDFs, Power Points and Word Docs have the landscape/portrait effect based on your content.

Games like Angry Birds and Dungeon explore played fine but I just realized they play in landscape mode. I assume any game that plays in portrait will have the two black boxes on the side. Videos files appear smooth with no sign of delay or jerkiness.

Hope that helps.

Kevin

Upvote 0
I had an old Samsung camcorder that had this cable, but I believe if you search Amazon.com under "3.5mm video cable" there is aboundant number of cables to choose from.

The cable plugs into the earphone jack and you go to the "Settings->Display->TV out" screen to enable the video out.

One little tid bit. On my older cable, the connector colors do not match the output. My cable, RED is the video out and yellow is either Left or Right Audio.
The $0.26 cent cable on Amazon.com is the exact same cable I have. Someone even made note of this in the comments section.

Hope that helps
Kevin

Upvote 0
Answering my own question, I have gotten a cable from EBay for ~$8 incl postage. It's about 1.5 ft long which is perfect for my use since I just set the phone on the exercise bike monitor & the input jack is a few inches away. I have found that I need to turn up the volume more than for the TV mode. I'd post the link but I'm at work and we're not allowed on EBay.

Now I can watch my Farscape episodes while exercising.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones