• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Simon_Gardner

Android Expert
Jun 13, 2013
Twitter @Simon_Gardner
This is strictly a UK & Ireland thing.

The SkyGo app won't install at all from the Store. Technicians are working on a fix but at the moment you can't get it to work on the Note 3. I have had no indication as to when the problem will get fixed.

You can get the app from http://apps.sky.com/skygoandroid/skygo3.2.apk. It will install but it still won't actually run yet. When it does , you will need your Sky ID.

I really need to be able to get live stream Sky News on this thing.

Note3bsmiley_zpsc29b2f9a.png

I'm pleasantly surprised that Sky made it available to the Note 3 so quickly,it wasn't the case with the Note1/2
Not exactly "available" yet.

Fingers crossed that the Tech section sort out this issue asap.

Simon,you will love it on your Note 3:D

It's essential. It's the difference between having to take my laptop on an overnight trip and not.

Upvote 0
For me, it's looking a bit flaky BUT it is working at least partly. I'm guessing Sky is still working on it?

Edit: Picture takes a while to settle down each time but eventually does. (Just not as good as iPlayer - though still OK.)

And it REALLY sucks battery.

Sky go will not install on my N3, play store states its compatible with my device ???

Upvote 0
It's fine. No doubt in a few weeks it will be made "official" as it already is for other devices.

My main complaint with it so far is it consumes too much battery.

I've not seen the Sky Go app for myself. Just gives some crap about it not being available in China. But if it's streaming video, either using WiFi or 3G/4G, that's often quite heavy on power. Does the phone become noticeably warm when using the app?

Upvote 0
But if it's streaming video, either using WiFi or 3G/4G, that's often quite heavy on power.

The gold standard here is the BBC iPlayer and Sky Go is very noticeably worse than that at the moment both in terms of power consumption and poorer video quality.

I have a feeling Sky Go is still very much in beta on the Note 3.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones