• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ultimate ascend customization guide.

Hope this may help someone going to CM7.. I take no credit for this.. Just changed the image for Jazziette's CWM Recovery 2.5.1.8 installer that is included in Tokenpoke's Ultimate Ascend Mod Guide to CWM Recovery 3.0.2.8. This will NOT work with Icarus. It will work with Froyo and GB flashes (CM6/7), and also the new version of MetrOFF (1.3, which is linked the CM7 wiki)

Just adding this because it is the reccomended version to flash CM7.. I used it, it worked, thought i'd share.. Follow Tokenpoke's instructions from the original guide and it works just the same..

Great guide by the way Toke..

CWM Recovery 3.0.2.8.rar

Upvote 0
Hope this may help someone going to CM7.. I take no credit for this.. Just changed the image for Jazziette's CWM Recovery 2.5.1.8 installer that is included in Tokenpoke's Ultimate Ascend Mod Guide to CWM Recovery 3.0.2.8. This will NOT work with Icarus. It will work with Froyo and GB flashes (CM6/7), and also the new version of MetrOFF (1.3, which is linked the CM7 wiki)

Just adding this because it is the reccomended version to flash CM7.. I used it, it worked, thought i'd share.. Follow Tokenpoke's instructions from the original guide and it works just the same..

Great guide by the way Toke..

CWM Recovery 3.0.2.8.rar

Just my 2 cents... I have done every flash flawlessly with cwm 2.5.1.8. I am currently on Cm7 05042011 and have not had one single problem... Hope this helps someone!!:D
happy Ascending!!!errrrr Flashing...Lol

Upvote 0
Just my 2 cents... I have done every flash flawlessly with cwm 2.5.1.8. I am currently on Cm7 05042011 and have not had one single problem... Hope this helps someone!!:D
happy Ascending!!!errrrr Flashing...Lol

Hehe.. Yeah 2.5.1.8 worked fine for me on all of them also.. to be honest i forget the reason I made the jump.. think i was going to get brave and try the cm7 nightlies or something.. gonna be on cm6 or 7 anyways so it doesnt matter.. long week :)

Upvote 0
INSTALLING CLOCKWORKMOD (CWM)

Download the cwm.zip---------> CWM Recovery.zip (Thanks to Jazzette for this from her icarus 1.1 guide)

make sure usb debugging is turned on (menu button, settings, applications, development, usb debugging)

boot your phone into debug mode (fastboot) press, in order, VOLUME ROCKER DOWN+END (HANG UP)+ POWER. your phone will stay at the huawei screen. attach to pc using usb cord.

open the cwm.zip and extract the files
open the cwm folder
open the following files (you may see the dos box open briefly, this shows it worked all file are labeled according to os, choose for your os)

adb
fastboot
install recovery

unplug your phone from the pc and remove the battery for ten seconds.

boot to cwm VOLUME ROCKER UP+CALL BUTTON+POWER

you should see a black screen with green text. you now have cwm

k so i think i've done everything correct. i turned my phone back on, and the black screen with green text came up, but which of these options am i supposed to choose? do i choose reboot system now?

Upvote 0
k so i think i've done everything correct. i turned my phone back on, and the black screen with green text came up, but which of these options am i supposed to choose? do i choose reboot system now?

if you have trying to flash a custom rom, go ahead and wipe everything, not including sd card and afterwards install from sdcard.

Upvote 0
press the back button (the arrow) on your phone.

install .zip from sd
chose zip from sd.
choose cm6.zip
choose gapps-cm6.zip

phone will do a bunch of crazy stuff for a few minutes after each .zip is selected

press back on your phone....

ok so i got this far but it says in can not open it, and then aborts..where did i go wrong?

Upvote 0
Hey all. I was just wondering, now that the tapout ascend is out and running 2.2, would it be possible to just flash a stock recovery of it to a regular ascend?
Then you could just root and remove the bloatware.
If anyone knows how to get the stcok rom for it let me know I will try it.
Been done and its a pos!!!!

Upvote 0
I just purchased my first smart phone yesterday (cricket huawei ascend) and am excited to hit the ground running with this. All comments/advice is greatly appreciated in advance. I have been combing through this site all day and i think i have mustard up the courage to root and improve performance. However i have a few questions before i begin:

1. you suggest just before you begin to download the metrostockrecover.7z
Does that cover the cricket phones or is their another download for that?

2. should i be using my phones browser to access these links for downloading the apps (ei: z4root.1.3.0.apk) in your article?

3. How much did titanium backup pro cost u?

4. Did you ever expand the cricket bloat list?

Upvote 0
I just purchased my first smart phone yesterday (cricket huawei ascend) and am excited to hit the ground running with this. All comments/advice is greatly appreciated in advance. I have been combing through this site all day and i think i have mustard up the courage to root and improve performance. However i have a few questions before i begin:

1. you suggest just before you begin to download the metrostockrecover.7z
Does that cover the cricket phones or is their another download for that?

2. should i be using my phones browser to access these links for downloading the apps (ei: z4root.1.3.0.apk) in your article?

3. How much did titanium backup pro cost u?

4. Did you ever expand the cricket bloat list?

best advise would to install cm6 or cm7 and it comes rooted already, you just need to download the files for which ever one you want, it only takes about 5 minutes to flash. titu backup free version will work also...and if you plan on taking your phone back to the store, there is a recovery for cricket that will flash your phone back to out of box state

Upvote 0
best advise would to install cm6 or cm7 and it comes rooted already, you just need to download the files for which ever one you want, it only takes about 5 minutes to flash. titu backup free version will work also...and if you plan on taking your phone back to the store, there is a recovery for cricket that will flash your phone back to out of box state
You have to have root to install CWM n Rom Manager ;)

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

I own my MetroPCS Huawei Ascend since january and i'm ready to upgrade its OS (too slow, takes a full minute when i want to make a call, etc... you all know the issues)

Before trying to update it to CM7, i have a stupid question: How do i save all my txt msg, phone numbers, contacts, pictures, etc... and get them back once i've upgaded it ???
:rolleyes:

Thx

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

I own my MetroPCS Huawei Ascend since january and i'm ready to upgrade its OS (too slow, takes a full minute when i want to make a call, etc... you all know the issues)

Before trying to update it to CM7, i have a stupid question: How do i save all my txt msg, phone numbers, contacts, pictures, etc... and get them back once i've upgaded it ???
:rolleyes:

Thx

Under contacts you can press menu then export them to your SD card. As far as saving actual text messages, I know GO SMS Pro has an export wizard that will copy all your texts to SD Card also. Pictures and sounds are stored on your SD card. Save a copy of SD Card on hard drive just to make sure things go smoothly along with a Nandroid backup. CM7 it is recommended to format the card afterwards so just copy the files back over off the SD card once everything is loaded up..

Upvote 0
Did anybody figure out the solution to this ? There is another tapout user having the same problem.

http://androidforums.com/2695475-post30.html

Gmash, I might be the other tapout user you're talking about.. After going through a lot of posts on here, I found the above info.
If the quote above is on my behalf, thanks!

I'm going to be trying to put a different ROM on it probably tomorrow, but I'm still kinda confused on the ROM install stuff..

Is Icarus a ROM? If so, why do I need to install it before I install cm6 ROM?

Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/2695475-post30.html

Gmash, I might be the other tapout user you're talking about.. After going through a lot of posts on here, I found the above info.
If the quote above is on my behalf, thanks!

I'm going to be trying to put a different ROM on it probably tomorrow, but I'm still kinda confused on the ROM install stuff..

Is Icarus a ROM? If so, why do I need to install it before I install cm6 ROM?
Actually, that was an old post, but I left a response on your other thread about it.

Yes, Icarus is a ROM, and no, you don't have to install it before CM6/7. If you are confused about ROM stuff I would recommend more reading until you're not confused before trying it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones