• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unable to enter recovery menu

If you 'flash' via ROM manager it does nothing to your recovery, yes. You can still boot recovery without the update.zip file on your sdcard. If you rooted using the old method you'll have an engineering release of the stock recovery, which works (on AMOLED screens only) but is pretty useless. If you rooted with unrevoked3 you'll have clockworkmod or amon ra.

Upvote 0
Hi Rich,

To get my Desire back into any kind of working order, I downloaded and installed a stock RUU. I found a link to it in post number 23 on the following thread here:
http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/171820-desire-2-2-ota-update.html

This was the only thing I could get to work. I hope it solves your problem too mate as I know exactly how you must be feeling!

Good luck,
Jim

Upvote 0
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your reply. I have had a go at doing that:

Here's my issue......

Got phone back from HTC repair - New motherboard - Worked fine.

HBOOT 0.93

I rooted phone using Unrevoked version 3

Then I installed LeeDroid 2.2d - latest version from XDA developers.
Phone worked fine for a few days.

I downloaded a few apps and synced calendars etc.

Then this morning - I unplugged my charger from the phone and Bang.....Phone seems to be not working, and my Calendars are blank, so I decided to reboot phone.....................

Now I am unable to get past the HTC White Logo screen. AND I cannot access Recovery mode or Clockworkmod.
Though I can get to the Hboot screen by holding the down key and power.
Cannot boot into recovery though even from this menu.

I have plugged my Desire in and gone into Fastboot mode and then tried to install the Stock HTC RUU. RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed

However I just get either error 131 or Error 140 depending on which SD card I put into the phone..........

Any ideas?

HELP!!!!!!!! - I thought I was good at this! :mad:(

Rich

Upvote 0
whats the actual error you are getting?
not the number but the wording that comes with it
what os are you running?

I am running LeedDroid 2.2d - His modified Froyo Rom.

The phone will not boot past the HTC White screen,

When I go into bootloader bit and the little bit of green writing that pops up whilst it checks the recovery image says........

SD Checking...
Loading...[PB99DIAG.zip]
No Image!
Loading...[PB99DIAG.nhh]
No Image or Wrong Image!
Loading...[PB99IMG.zip]
No Image!
Loading...[PB99IMG.nhh]
No Image or Wrong Image!

So I am at a loss as to how I can get my phone back and functioning again?

Thanks for replying to the thread though, any ideas?

R

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Right, follow this guide. If it works you'll be back on 1.21.405.2 (Android 2.1) - you can then reroot or update to stock 2.2 if you want...

[HOWTO] Downgrade Froyo (2.2) to Stock 2.1 (ANY HBOOT | WIN/LINUX/MAC | ROOT) - xda-developers

Obviously bare in mind that doing this WILL reset your unit and you'll lose your apps/data - only do it if you don't mind setting things up again

Hi EddyOS,

Again, thanks for your help, BUT this seems to rely on being able to boot into the phone??

As per the Windows guide in the link you sent me....
"Enable USB debugging on your phone. Ensure 'ask me' is set under 'Connect to PC' setting with 'charge only'. Plug in your phone."

If I cannot even boot into the phone, how can I reset the phone?

I'm sure we'll get there in the end - Or am I missing something really obvious?

Cheers,

Rich

Upvote 0
I am running LeedDroid 2.2d - His modified Froyo Rom.

The phone will not boot past the HTC White screen,

When I go into bootloader bit and the little bit of green writing that pops up whilst it checks the recovery image says........

SD Checking...
Loading...[PB99DIAG.zip]
No Image!
Loading...[PB99DIAG.nhh]
No Image or Wrong Image!
Loading...[PB99IMG.zip]
No Image!
Loading...[PB99IMG.nhh]
No Image or Wrong Image!

So I am at a loss as to how I can get my phone back and functioning again?

Thanks for replying to the thread though, any ideas?

R
i was asking what error you were getting on the RUU package

by the way, this problem really looks like an issue with a duff sdcard.
if you use a card reader can windows see it and access it without any issues?

Upvote 0
i was asking what error you were getting on the RUU package

by the way, this problem really looks like an issue with a duff sdcard.
if you use a card reader can windows see it and access it without any issues?

Hi Rastaman,

Right I get you now. well I seem unable to boot my phone regardless of the sdcard.

The error I am getting is Error 131 - I have now tried every single one of the stock RUU Roms that are suitable to my phone from xda developers. They all return with error 131.

I tried another sdcard, and I got Error 140 wrong Bootloader message.

Looks like I might well be utterly stuffed...

I also tried downgrading to HBOOT 0.80 with Teppic's downgrade tool, but as I cannot get to the phone to select USB Debugging or anything else I am unable to make it work. It simply gets to *Daemon started successfully* and then stops.......nothing else happens.

This is really infuriating me now!!!!

Rich

Upvote 0
OK here's the latest....

I used a different sdcard..............

I thought I had done it! I actually got the RUU for froyo WWE_2.10.405.2 etc to work and load onto my phone!!! Yipee

However at the end of the install......phone rebooted as per normal and Boom stuck back at th HTC white screen and I still cannot boot into the sodding phone.

I can't believe it I thought I was there.............

I think the phone is broken

Can anything else be done? I mean the RUU actually completed as per normal and installed, but still this problem???

R

Upvote 0
OK So I have had another go at installing the RUU Rom again.

this time I removed the sdcard to do it and I got the 131 Error - No Go

Then I put sd card back into phone, and this time it went through the installation sequence fine - Infact it appears to have installed the RUU OK on the phone.

BUT.......The phone won't boot and it is still saying wrong image etc in Bootloader.....

The original problem occured when I unplugged it from my HTC USB charger. I am beginning to think it might be a hardware issue with the USB input on the phone?

What do you reckon folks?

Thanks for listening

Rich

Upvote 0
when its saying wrong image in bootloader that is just when it is looking for files if you are refering to this
SD Checking...
Loading...[PB99DIAG.zip]
No Image!
Loading...[PB99DIAG.nhh]
No Image or Wrong Image!
Loading...[PB99IMG.zip]
No Image!
Loading...[PB99IMG.nhh]
No Image or Wrong Image!
thats normal.
Im surprised you still cannot boot even after a successful RUU
how long are you leaving it on the white screen? it can take 5+ mins (real time not feeling time) before moving to the next phase.
if usb was an issue the RUU wouldnt work at all and throw up "usb connection error" at the start or mid way through the bootloader process.

Upvote 0
when its saying wrong image in bootloader that is just when it is looking for files if you are refering to this

thats normal.
Im surprised you still cannot boot even after a successful RUU
how long are you leaving it on the white screen? it can take 5+ mins (real time not feeling time) before moving to the next phase.
if usb was an issue the RUU wouldnt work at all and throw up "usb connection error" at the start or mid way through the bootloader process.

I know that's what I thought too?!

I will give it one last go and leave it for a full 5 minutes still plugged into USB after the RUU installation. However I don't imagine it's going to work.

The only positive is that the RUU now says that the image on the phone is the latest HTC Rom, so I might be OK to send it back to HTC now and get it fixed or replaced.......?

Thanks

Rich

Upvote 0
I also tried putting a PM99IMG file onto root of my SD Card and letting it update that way.
However even though it was the correct one and it installed correctly, it also did not work and the phone after rebooting will still not get past HTC White Screen!!!

Right I have tried everything I know now and have heard of. I'm calling HTC - Bugger

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones