• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unable to print to network printer.

Hi, I have a Samsung SM-337AZ that is unable to print to a network printer.

Before I get into all of the details of what went on I do want to say that when I used the "PrinterShare Mobile Print" app that I was able to send a test page from my phone to the printer and it printed out, so I know that there is a way that this will work, but in order to do any real printing the app requires that you pay for the updated version which (for reasons that I don't want to get into) I refuse to do.

So anyway... the printer is an old "HP LaserJet 4000T" the internal Jet Direct card is dead (a new one is on order) so I have one of those old "Netgear PS101" print server interfaces plugged into the Parallel Port on the back of the printer, I assigned it a static IP in the network router so that it won't drift to another IP if the router is ever rebooted.

The printer is pingable from a Windows laptop and I was able to send it a test page that printed out.

But on my Android phone I have tried using the default printing app, the HP printing app, and the Samsung printing app, to set up a TCP/IP port on the IP address of the printer but they all give an error that they are unable to connect to the printer.

But I am able to open up Chrome and get to the web interface of the print server on the same IP address so the phone does actually have a valid network path to get there at least on "Port 80", which makes me wonder ... what TCP/IP port do Android phones use to print with?

And I ask that because this print server is from the early 2000's and is probably still setup on whatever TCP/IP print port was used back then.

And I think my final question is... besides the previously mentioned "PrinterShare Mobile Print" app does anyone know of a free app that could be used instead to make this work that doesn't require you to pay anything to make it work?

The 'HP Print Service Plugin' should be all you need, no need to have an additional third-party print server service like that PrinterShare Mobile Print app in the mix.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hp.android.printservice
But I'm wondering since the set up is a bit jury-rigged with your printer connected to your local network via that Netgear PS101 Print Server if that's why the HP app is having issues detecting the IP address (i.e. it's not the HP LaserJet IP address but rather the Netgear Print Server IP address)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones