• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unableto force phone to wcdma/gsm only.

Howl often does this happen to you? My F6 seems to do the same thing: It slows, stops but still displays 4GLTE with bars. On lock screen it will say emergency calls only, so I have to toggle airplane mode, or wait a couple and it fixes itself.

And I think changing those settings will do nothing anyway, if you're running stock firmware. I'm sure there's a hidden menu somewhere making sure your phone stays on factory settings. If you actually went to wcmda mode you wouldn't have any service at all. LG and Metro lock those radio settings, because if you don't know what you're doing you can brick it.

Edit: Sorry disregard lol.... Was thinking of different settings

Upvote 0
I'd bring that thing back to metro and see if they can swap your sim card or replace the phone.

Would they charge me for swapping the SIM card? I had previously inquired about swapping the phone, but they will charge $15 and I can't afford it at the moment.

I should add that when I'm driving and I lose my LTE signal, the phone drops down to 4G, or 2g. No issues there. Its just when I try to force it to 4G that this happens.

Upvote 0
I'm sure they'd rather hand you a sim card to try first. I would definitely argue my way out of having to pay for the SIM.

Metro is VERY stingy with SIM cards and will try to make you pay for it before even opening the package. If they refuse, tell them to just go out back and get you a new phone.

When I previously asked about getting a replacement, they told me not only would I have to pay $15 to have it activated, but it would take about 3 days to get there which tells me that I would be getting a refurbished phone, rather than a new one. So I don't think they will go into their supplies to give me a new one.

Upvote 0
the reason I dislike refurbished phones is because I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my phones, they are always in flawless condition from the time I buy them until the time I move on a year or more later and buy a new phone. I've gotten refurbished phones a couple of times and they almost always have a scratch or two or scuffs on them.

Upvote 0
I should add thats if it is a defect in the phone. Lg can do some weird things with there radios. When my n4 wasnt sending or recieving data it would drop all data signal and go into kinda a sleep mode. wouldnt wake up until data was being transmitted. Sometimes there was a delay and it would be on edge for a few seconds until hspa kicked in. Was annoying to say the least.

Upvote 0
20 GB. Wow :) I'd say while surfing with my F6 I'd have to toggle airplane mode maybe once/twice a day. And that's with my average 3-5 GB a month. It might be the radio as timmyh mentioned, or something to do with the network. On GSM network, My N5 does it, F6 did it, both being LG devices. My Huawei Valiant never had a problem staying connected, but that was also a 3G only handset.

There are so many factors going here, probably safe to say a replacement F6 will end up doing the same thing :(

Reactions: MyUsernameRox
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones