• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Understanding Bluetooth headphone binding under Froyo?

Travisimo

Android Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2010
USA
I remember reading somewhere about changes made in Froyo in how it manages headset binding in apps. In my case, I'm referring to my Bluetooth headphones that I use almost daily to listen to music and podcasts.

I use an app called Doggcatcher to listen to podcasts. There are several options in the app to control headset binding and I have them all turned on because I want the app to always have control of my headset when it is running. Under 2.1, this worked fine. As long as the app was running, I could press a button on my headphones to start and stop podcasts, etc.

With 2.2, it seems hit or miss. Many times, when I press the button on my headphones, it will open the stock Music app and start playing music even though I still have Doggcatcher running and I haven't changed any settings from 2.1. A little while longer, then it will be fine again where pressing the headphones button will start and stop Doggcatcher instead of the stock music app.

I can't figure out a pattern here. I thought maybe it would revert back to the music app if Doggcatcher stopped running, but I know for sure it is still running because it's only been about 30 seconds or so since I paused the podcast.

Anyway, does anyone know how this is supposed to work under Froyo? I really don't use the stock music app much at all anyway. But when I'm listening to my podcasts, I really need to be able to start and stop them with the button on my headphones. So I either need to figure out how to UNbind the stock music app (probably not possible), or how to keep the binding to Doggcatcher when I'm using it.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones