• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unfortunately Home Screen has stopped

Having the same problem. To answer "sharondippity", after the phone boots up I get this message that says "Unfortunately, Homescreen has stopped". Then when you select "Ok", it just keeps bringing up the same error message - essentially making the phone unusable. Force Reboot doesn't help. Clearing Cache didn't help.

One option that at least makes the phone usable again, is going into "Settings - applications - all", find the homescreen app and select "Clear Data". This gets you out of the error message loop. I added all my homescreen apps and everything seemed to be working fine. However, the first time I powered my phone off - then back on, the error message came back and the phone was locked up again.

I also just booted my phone into Safe Mode, and it seems to be working OK - which I believe means it's not the phone itself, but instead one of my downloaded apps.

That's as far as I've gotten so far.

Upvote 0
Having the same problem. To answer "sharondippity", after the phone boots up I get this message that says "Unfortunately, Homescreen has stopped". Then when you select "Ok", it just keeps bringing up the same error message - essentially making the phone unusable. Force Reboot doesn't help. Clearing Cache didn't help.

One option that at least makes the phone usable again, is going into "Settings - applications - all", find the homescreen app and select "Clear Data". This gets you out of the error message loop. I added all my homescreen apps and everything seemed to be working fine. However, the first time I powered my phone off - then back on, the error message came back and the phone was locked up again.

I also just booted my phone into Safe Mode, and it seems to be working OK - which I believe means it's not the phone itself, but instead one of my downloaded apps.

Thanks for your response. But my situation is slightly different. My phone would be working fine and then i get the error message. I hit ok button on the message and the phone returns me to the last screen of my last used app. When i hit the home button it returns me to a blank homescreen, then within seconds all my widgets and shortcuts reappear. It occurs occasionally and is more of an annoyance than anything. I am not rooted, stock ICS. Started after getting ICS.

Upvote 0
I was having the same problem until I uninstalled the "Multicon" app that I was using. If you're using that app, it's probably the source of the problem. For me, it seemed to be related to the screen trying to auto-rotate and not being able to do so because of the Multicon widgets. If you don't have Multicon you might look at any other widgets you have set up on your home screen to see if they might be causing it to happen.

Upvote 0

Hello, I have the same problem with you. But I cant get in settings. The only way to get in to settings in to touch on home screen. But as it stops I cant. Please help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones