• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unified Storage layout? help?

zatabyte

Lurker
Mar 31, 2015
hi im new here and i was just wondering if there is a way (i know there must be one) of upgrading to the unified storage loyaout where apps storage and phone are in one single partition since 500mb is not enough for my tab, is there any way to do so? if there is how shall i proceed? please help i`ll be waiting for an answer :)

There are no general, one-size-fits-all-devices mods of this sort, so the starting point would be to know what device you have and what software version. But Android software builds are always device-specific, and this is a deeper mod than just a custom ROM: you'd need to repartition the device's internal storage and then have a software build for that device that can make use of this. Unless you have the time and experience the real question is "has anyone made such a mod for this particular device?", and without knowing what device you have we can't start to answer that.

I'm assuming that the device does have some significant internal storage, in the form of an "internal sd card" that's distinct from the /data partition, that could be unified? If it's just the arrangement of a /data area and an actual removable sd card that the earliest Android devices had (almost all pre-2011) then there is nothing to unify.

Upvote 0
this is what i have:

Brand: Nuqleo Quantum 7
Android: 4.0.4

http://www.nuqleo.com/cr/quantum7#tech-specs

the thing is that for apps i only have 500MB and for "internal storage" wich i guess is the phone storage it has 2.2GB. Now android devices uses 1 single partition with everything together, thats after 4.2 i think idk and i just wanted to know how to do it. i dont think by just rooting the device and manually upgrading firmware and have android 5 on it would help cuz so far seems to be that it could run it, anyways im just wondering if theres any way to expand my internal storage to install more apps since i cant fully move apps to sd card

Upvote 0
I'm surprised if you can move apps to SD at all with 4.0.4, as it's not supported by Android in that version (though some manufacturers add it).

No, just rooting by itself won't do this. Upgrades are device-specific, so you won't be able to upgrade to 4.2, 4.4 or 5 unless either the manufacturer has produced an upgrade for it or someone has built a custom ROM for the device (the latter requires root). Even then, it's unlikely that this will unify the partitions: generally manufacturers don't change that sort of thing when they write updates. For what it's worth unified storage came in with Android 4.0 (actually with 3 if you have a tablet), but some budget manufacturers stuck with the old way, which I guess is the case here.

If you were rooted there are various tricks that could be tried. The simplest is probably to partition a removable SD card and use an app called Link2SD to move parts of the apps to that: it allows you to move more than the built-in "move to SD" did, so should give you more space than that would, possibly more than unified storage would since an extra 2.2 GB isn't very much either. It might be worth checking whether it is already rooted - off-brand devices sometimes are (try a root checker app from the Play Store to see).

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones