• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unknown Sources now can be allowed

By doing this, you will most likely lose the ability to send MMS messages, requiring a factory reset or upgrade to GB to get it back, if you want that capability. But, hey, at least you can install non-market apps.

edit: crap!! you are right, it won't send... well that sucks, does a factory reset wipe the phone? i'm not down for that, i have a ton of pictures i haven't backed up yet

speaking of gingerbread, i am not a part of the family on this either, still 2.2.1 here, my phone thinks its up to date so i'm :thinking: on this update.. how do i force it?

Upvote 0
edit: crap!! you are right, it won't send... well that sucks, does a factory reset wipe the phone? i'm not down for that, i have a ton of pictures i haven't backed up yet

speaking of gingerbread, i am not a part of the family on this either, still 2.2.1 here, my phone thinks its up to date so i'm :thinking: on this update.. how do i force it?

Yes a factory reset will clear the phone of all apps and whatnot saved on the phone.

For the gingerbread update its under the htc wifi update not the att one. Make sure you are on wifi.

Upvote 0
Yes a factory reset will clear the phone of all apps and whatnot saved on the phone.

For the gingerbread update its under the htc wifi update not the att one. Make sure you are on wifi.

well i dont have any wireless... do i need to go pimp out a starbucks or something?? free wifi there usually

and i did indeed break the MMS, and have also found the APN settings that probably got wiped out are greyed out or locked.. and making a new APN using the cingular values fixes haven't worked either

so will going gingerbread fix my ordeal here? you guys are pretty helpful, i would buy you a beer anyday :D

Upvote 0
well i dont have any wireless... do i need to go pimp out a starbucks or something?? free wifi there usually

and i did indeed break the MMS, and have also found the APN settings that probably got wiped out are greyed out or locked.. and making a new APN using the cingular values fixes haven't worked either

so will going gingerbread fix my ordeal here? you guys are pretty helpful, i would buy you a beer anyday :D

Yeah you will need a wifi source to get the update.

And att locked the APN on the phone so it couldn't be tinkered with. Mine has always been grey and said not set.
On a side note if you are using the work around to unlock the hotspot feature to tether for free be prepared to lose that once you upgrade to gingerbread. Att has figured out how to block this loophole and included it with the gingerbread update.

Reactions: whatttup_G
Upvote 0

Yes, upgrading to GB will fix the MMS issue. The only way to do that without wiping your phone is with the OTA update. It will also give you the ability to install non-market apps. But it also introduces a lot of other issues that are frustrating a lot of users. I suggest reading through this forum for a while and decide what is best for you. Keep in mind that the factory reset only wipes the internal memory on the phone. The SD card is not wiped. Pictures are saved on the SD card. And if you get all your apps through the android market or amazon, you should be able to reinstall them. Primarily what you will lose are the settings and customizations. Personally, I did the OTA shortly after getting my phone and haven't come across one of these GB issues that I haven't been able to find a solution or workaround. If you can't get access to WiFi you can download the GB RUU to your computer from the HTC website. However running that will wipe your phone as well.

Reactions: whatttup_G
Upvote 0
Yeah you will need a wifi source to get the update.

And att locked the APN on the phone so it couldn't be tinkered with. Mine has always been grey and said not set.
On a side note if you are using the work around to unlock the hotspot feature to tether for free be prepared to lose that once you upgrade to gingerbread. Att has figured out how to block this loophole and included it with the gingerbread update.

no, not trying to tether.. i paid for 2gigs and i'm good with that, i am not trying to internet my neighborhood or need this phone for home access or hotspoting at all, i just want the phone working cuz i broke it and use MMS for work and play

i'd root my way around this if i had the time and energy, but i have kids and soccer and an extra job at the moment, its all i can do to get 5 hrs sleep.. i dont have the time to commit even though it looks like there is a mountain of info, and i'm missing out on hacking my setup which i'd be down for, i love hacking even though it bites me in the arse like this... live and learn eh :D

anyways i will read up on GB and see if anything strikes me, otherwse i'll hit starbucks up the street and go for it... this whole work around just reminds me why ATT ticks me off, i sooooo wont miss them someday

sorry to bust this thread up with support, maybe we can summarize this later or mod delete... i will report back.. thanks guys!!

Upvote 0
Yes, upgrading to GB will fix the MMS issue. The only way to do that without wiping your phone is with the OTA update. It will also give you the ability to install non-market apps. But it also introduces a lot of other issues that are frustrating a lot of users. I suggest reading through this forum for a while and decide what is best for you. Keep in mind that the factory reset only wipes the internal memory on the phone. The SD card is not wiped. Pictures are saved on the SD card. And if you get all your apps through the android market or amazon, you should be able to reinstall them. Primarily what you will lose are the settings and customizations. Personally, I did the OTA shortly after getting my phone and haven't come across one of these GB issues that I haven't been able to find a solution or workaround. If you can't get access to WiFi you can download the GB RUU to your computer from the HTC website. However running that will wipe your phone as well.

yeah.. gingerbread doesn't exactly read as stable, looks like issues are pretty hit and miss.. maybe i'll hang back and see if 2.3 gets bumped, not sure its worth it, nor am i sure that unknown applications was worth it either :D

Upvote 0
Mods feel free to edit this thread to condense the info if you wish..I wasn't trying to turn this into a support thread except this fix breaks your phone.

I spent almost an hour on the phone today.. first with ATT level 1, then level 2, then a conf call with HTC and level 2 trying to fix the MMS which died with this unknown sources fix. Well they eventually gave up, we tried all kinds of stuff,short of a factory wipe. Level 2 guy was totally cool, apologized even though I stated that I was sure I was the problem, however he mentioned he receives 6-7 calls a day related to this phone and a similar, but not identical issue.

Well he was ready to authorize an in store phone swap if the store couldn't fix it, and also wrote some kinda high level bug report, which I guess they do if you call in with a whopper that they can resolve. Well after stumping both ATT and HTC I guess I had met the whopper criteria LOL.

With nothing left to lose, I hitched up a WiFi connection and went to 2.3.3, or gingerbread as its called. Lucky for me, the install was flawless, the phone fully works, and as mentioned above, the update fixed my MMS. Personally I'm done with troubleshooting phones for now, this was enough fun for me.

Upvote 0

I have been led to believe that the free app called HandCent cures the MMS problem. Also my wallpaper is stuck on the first choice. Not that it makes a difference because I like it also.

Upvote 0
Handcent will not fix or bypass the mms issue with the clearing settings steps to get unknown sources.
Well lucky me...I don't text and my email is on Googles cloud, so I seem to be OK. Though with Amazon wanting my credit card to give me a free app, sideloading is superfluous. The Market has had everything I need so far anyway. And I'll wait until the Gingerbread upgrade is stable with no more complaints before I upgrade.:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones