• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocking, rooting and debranding with a Mac.

croyde

May 21, 2010
I have a branded Orange phone and I am tempted to debrand it but I cannot find simple instructions involving using a Mac. No PCs in this house.

As the phone is unlocked does this make it easier and do I have to root and debrand or just do one of the procedures in order to get rid of the bloatware and get 2.2.

Cheers.

i was in the same situation, i have a mac, but its really easy to do, i used this as a rough guide of what to do
http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/124085-rooting-tool-one-click-program.html

its so much easyer on a mac, no worrying about extra drivers etc. simply put all you have to do is
1) back up phone
2) install unrevoked 3 on mac (
3) open unrevoked
4) put phone in recovery and connect, let it do its thing
5) your now rooted

EDIT: any proplems or you need more detail on any step let me know

Reactions: croyde
Upvote 0
Your guide looks very easy and simple yet the one click thread seems much more complicated and with 6 pages of more stuff flying over my head makes me concerned about having a go.

Some Qs

Does rooted = debranded?

Will the original ROM remain until I decide to change it?

If I just follow your easy guide do I just end up with a rooted phone and then what does rooted mean?

Sorry but until all this I thought I was OK with basic computer stuff yet I don't want to brick my phone. If I had a spare I'd be happy to experiment.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
i know i'm a newb and probably not much help. i didn't see your phone listed but i might just be looking in the wrong places :) well my input is just i have a htc desire it was branded to o2 i went to that unlckers* website and went through the debranding process then i could just get the new update straight from htc hope this helps

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Debranding doesn't require root, and will remove root if you have it. If you're on a Mac you cannot run an RUU, so the easiest method for you is this:

[HOWTO] Downgrade Froyo (2.2) to Stock 2.1 (ANY HBOOT | WIN/LINUX/MAC | ROOT) - xda-developers

If you root you can remove apps or install a custom ROM (even one based on an official ROM), but this is not the same as debranding.

Thanks for the info teppic. If I do this,
1) I'm guessing I get to go to 2.2 via OTA updates from HTC directly?
2) Is there a way for me to go back to my branded 2.1 (I'm on Telus)? Which would be useful if I ever needed to claim the warranty.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones