• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root UNroot, back to bone-stock. One step!

messenger13

Android Expert
Dec 8, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Everyone is always so concerned about unrooting, removing su, removing busybox, etc., and so-forth. Well, finally an extremely simply solution. Almost too simple. ;)

Go to the Market and install SholesMod Updater. Sure it's $5, but it does it all for ya. Just install the app like any other, then open it. Select "Stock 2.0.1 (No root)" and let it do it's thing. TaDa! And no one is the wiser. ;)

Hope this puts some minds at ease.

I bought my son a Droid and after playing with it in its stock form I realized just how much better my own phone that was already rooted, ROM'd, and OC'd was. I did everything on my own using the guides, and learned how to use the sdk, and adb, the shell, etc. I'm glad I did because it gave me a lot better understanding of what's going on inside my phone and I'm a lot more comfortable troubleshooting problems that may arise.

That being said, when it came to my sons Droid, I just didn't want to spend the time again so I installed the sholesmod, and used it to gain root and install sprecovery. Then I installed Pete's Bugless Beast .7.4 (because that's the one I use and I am familiar with and trust it). I updated maps from the market and also installed setcpu and set up profiles for him. Total time invested (not including download time) is about 10 minutes and my son is drooling over his turbo boosted phone.

Upvote 0
"IF" the need arises to switch back to stock, is it necessary to wipe data if choosing 2.0.1 setting on the SMUpdater? Also, what's the difference between Sholes 2.0.1 and using the stock factory reset in the phone's settings?

A stock factory reset will only wipe all of your data. It won't remove su, busybox, or UNroot you.

Upvote 0
Nice, get that app while you can. A little birdy told me Google will be removing it soon. It contains closed source Google apps and charges for it, and just like the One Click Root app we had for the G1/MT3G that was removed.

I just searched for sholes on the market and it no longer comes up. I was just looking at it on Friday while considering rooting my device but decided to wait. And you currently cant get it from the sholes.info site because their download host suspended their account. (I wonder if google had something to do with that)

Upvote 0
I just searched for sholes on the market and it no longer comes up. I was just looking at it on Friday while considering rooting my device but decided to wait. And you currently cant get it from the sholes.info site because their download host suspended their account. (I wonder if google had something to do with that)

I just checked myself. It is gone. Wow I just updated this morning too, cmon Google that sucks. What happen to being fully open.

Upvote 0

This is whats on there site.

Our hosting company has closed our account for using too much bandwidth. We are moving to a new hosting company, and everything should be back up later today.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones