UNroot, back to bone-stock. One step!

Last Updated:

1. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Everyone is always so concerned about unrooting, removing su, removing busybox, etc., and so-forth. Well, finally an extremely simply solution. Almost too simple. ;)

Go to the Market and install SholesMod Updater. Sure it's $5, but it does it all for ya. Just install the app like any other, then open it. Select "Stock 2.0.1 (No root)" and let it do it's thing. TaDa! And no one is the wiser. ;)

Hope this puts some minds at ease.

Advertisement
  2. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Nice, get that app while you can. A little birdy told me Google will be removing it soon. It contains closed source Google apps and charges for it, and just like the One Click Root app we had for the G1/MT3G that was removed.

3. GoNe2heLL

GoNe2heLL Well-Known Member

if i'm correct you can go to Sholes and get it free of charge.

4. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Sticky. Will stay here for awhile.

5. monsterenergy22

monsterenergy22 Well-Known Member

if google does remove it down the road and lets say we get a new droid, how can we install it on our new droid?

6. jdella681

jdella681 Active Member

I just backed it up using astro just in case it does get pulled from the market.

7. monsterenergy22

thanks!

8. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

i got the free one from their site as an apk file. i'm sure if google decides to remove it from marketplace, the sholes team will put out updates on their site.

9. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

The website says that the app store purchase is considered a donation, The actual app is free on there website.

The same goes for SetCPU, the app store purchase is a donation, You can get the .apk from there website for free.

10. Matthew

Matthew Well-Known Member

I bought it just because $5 is pretty cheap, especially for what it does and for the amount of work they have and are putting into it.

11. monsterenergy22

+1

12. slick_old

slick_old Well-Known Member

EDIT: I unrooted and my phone is back to stock 2.01 and 100% full functionality. When I first rebooted after unroot, my phone had lost a tad bit of functionality but after a few reboots and some time to rest over night, everything seems to be back to normal.

13. Wisdom

Wisdom Well-Known Member

I bought my son a Droid and after playing with it in its stock form I realized just how much better my own phone that was already rooted, ROM'd, and OC'd was. I did everything on my own using the guides, and learned how to use the sdk, and adb, the shell, etc. I'm glad I did because it gave me a lot better understanding of what's going on inside my phone and I'm a lot more comfortable troubleshooting problems that may arise.

That being said, when it came to my sons Droid, I just didn't want to spend the time again so I installed the sholesmod, and used it to gain root and install sprecovery. Then I installed Pete's Bugless Beast .7.4 (because that's the one I use and I am familiar with and trust it). I updated maps from the market and also installed setcpu and set up profiles for him. Total time invested (not including download time) is about 10 minutes and my son is drooling over his turbo boosted phone.

14. Nicks88

Nicks88 Well-Known Member

15. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

"IF" the need arises to switch back to stock, is it necessary to wipe data if choosing 2.0.1 setting on the SMUpdater? Also, what's the difference between Sholes 2.0.1 and using the stock factory reset in the phone's settings?

16. slick_old

slick_old Well-Known Member

I was just about to do this but miraculously my phone returned to full functionality over night. I guess it just needed time to rest. Thanks for the input, though. That's why I love this board.:D

17. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

A stock factory reset will only wipe all of your data. It won't remove su, busybox, or UNroot you.

18. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member

just downloaed the newest sholes app (already running 2.02). When I run the app it has about a page and 1/2 of text. No options to select. I deleted the app, reinstalled, and same thing.

19. bills534

bills534 Well-Known Member

I just searched for sholes on the market and it no longer comes up. I was just looking at it on Friday while considering rooting my device but decided to wait. And you currently cant get it from the sholes.info site because their download host suspended their account. (I wonder if google had something to do with that)

20. craigrn16

craigrn16 Well-Known Member

I just checked myself. It is gone. Wow I just updated this morning too, cmon Google that sucks. What happen to being fully open.

21. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member

This is whats on there site.

Our hosting company has closed our account for using too much bandwidth. We are moving to a new hosting company, and everything should be back up later today.

22. craigrn16

Oh ok, was about to say.

23. Matthew

Matthew Well-Known Member

I was wondering if they might run into that bandwidth problem because they got really popular really fast. I wonder how many downloads they have had from the market place so far...

24. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member

I know I supported them. They came out with one of the best apps to date IMO.

25. craigrn16

I second that. I have nonproblems with it so far.