• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update dilema!

_Ash_

Aug 8, 2010
OK so I saw that there was an update available via Kies and planned to use this route...until I tried to remove the OCLF!

The phone went to a black screen and would do nothing else so I then carried out a factory reset and clear cache. This got me a boot screen but just kept looping, which is when I started to panic.

Anyway after a couple of hours lastnight I managed to sort the phone using Odin and stock JF3 firmware and it's pretty much back to how it was, all my data restored etc. using Titanium Backup. Though I've noticed I can't get Swype to work.

Problem I have now is that Kies will no longer offer the update, says nothing can be upgraded, I'm assuming this is because I no longer have the TMU operator code installed.

I see that I have 3 choices,

1. Contact T-Mobile and see if they will do anything. Probably not as I messed with the firmware and they would also lock it to their network which it isn't at the moment.

2. Try to install the TMU code back into the phone if I can find the keypad sequence for this. Even then I'll bet it's not guaranteed to allow the update to work.

3. Reflash the phone using Odin and a decent Froyo release.

Be grateful if for any comments or if I've missed any alternative options to try.

Cheers
Dave

Think I know what you mean. I was looking for the easiest way to update as I didn't have much knowledge of Odin and flashing manually...until last night. I guess I'm now much happier to do this with a decent ROM.

Just seem to be a fair few available it's knowing which one to use. Originally I only rooted the phone so I could install the lag fix. I was waiting for the official T-mobile release just because...well dunno really. Guess I've just answered my own question ;)

Kies wouldn't see the phone when it was originally in the download mode.

Upvote 0
A little tip for you, remove lagfix before doing any flashing especially any stock rom. Root is ok to leave. If you go back to the stock rom (manually flashed) and remove any reg hacks on the pc you might be able to keis it again but that's just torture. If you want the best experience with the least hacks then go with a current 2.2 that is built against the official rom but minus the crap and lockdown. No lagfix needed.

However I can't suggest a particular rom because it is specific to your model which is different enough from mine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones