• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updating a droid via wifi

I have my old Droid laying around. I want to restore it to the factory settings and give it to my girlfriend (for her to play games on); however, I would like to be able to update it back to Froyo (version 2.2).

This phone is no longer on a cell phone plan, so how would I go about updating it? Is it even possible to do over wifi or the Google Play market?

I have my old Droid laying around. I want to restore it to the factory settings and give it to my girlfriend (for her to play games on); however, I would like to be able to update it back to Froyo (version 2.2).

This phone is no longer on a cell phone plan, so how would I go about updating it? Is it even possible to do over wifi or the Google Play market?

If you use a PC, you can flash newer standard ROMs. Peter Alfonso has them.
Sholes - Downloads

Upvote 0
I just went for it and reset the droid to the factory default. These instructions can be found in many places from Google.

Amazingly, even though the Droid 1 does not come with 2.2.3 from the factory that is what it restored it to. I'm not sure if when the updates came down from Verizon if they were stored on the phone's rom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones