Upgrade complete :)

Last Updated: 2011-01-04 02:04:29
  1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Well-Known Member

WOW that was easy :eek:
    And even better all 5 email accounts were NOT wiped out. Smooth easy upgrade. It's only been 15 min so far but all is in good in Froyo land. I used this link to do the upgrade.

hXXp://androidadvices.com/how-to-update-samsung-galaxy-s-epic-4g-to-froyo-2-2/

Replace XX with tt

PS.
    One question the directions say to hard reset phone how do I do that and is that what will loose my email accounts?

Advertisement
  2. Yes, with a hard reset all accounts will be wiped clean. You will find the option under settings then privacy then factory data reset.
    SurrealOne likes this.
  3. SurrealOne

And should I do this?
  4. Well if it says its needed, im not sure what is required with this beta 2.2 version being floated around. When Sprint sends the offical OTA you will not have to do a full reset. Doing a full reset is a PITA because it wipes out everything, any settings you changed along the way and your market apps, everything except the SD card. If you do it make sure you write down all your market apps only the ones you paid for will re appear when you re install them. All the free ones will have to be found again and re loaded as new.
    SurrealOne likes this.
  5. SurrealOne

Hummmm
    Well everything is working for now. So I will leave it alone for now :)
    Thanks for the help
  6. I think I would do the same "wait and see" usually, you only do a full data reset if something is really wrong and not working due to a software screw up or conflict.
    SurrealOne likes this.
  7. Keybeeetsss

Keybeeetsss Well-Known Member

Actually, I believe the new version they send out will wipe the phone as they all do.. this isn't an update to a previous version; its a new version...

If I'm wrong I'm sure it'll be corrected...
  8. It didn't on the EVO. It just upgraded the O/S.
  9. buggerritt

buggerritt Well-Known Member

There may be something that you don't actually notice, that is not right, without a wipe. Lets say your battery performance is not as good as it could be, your mms come in a little slow, flash is slightly out of sync. You just never know. Personally, I always like to have a fresh clean install on any OS. If anythng does act up, you know that the way you installed it was not the reason.
  10. SurrealOne

Now that my emails are coming in I do see some lag time and some little bugs that might be my next step.
  11. SurrealOne

I'm gonna wipe it.

Just to get a clean start
  12. Keybeeetsss

I thought the Evo went from 2.2 to 2.2.1...

I just kno in most cases, with Samsung phones, a new name means a clean slate but maybe it won't...
  13. This can be expected with non certified O/S versions.
  14. Keybeeetsss

that can too be expected with certified O/S which is why I stopped using the email client...

Mainly u would see problems if u didn't do a clean wipe 1st.. I had issues @ 1st because of not doing 1, but afterwards, smooth as a baby's bottom.. I love how I can barely glide my finger across the sceen & it glides so smooth, the new Gmail features are great, because that was one of my bigger complaints; being able to watch movies/series from Fancast & other sites; having the Blue led for text & the red for emails(Gmail); Saving emais & apps to the SD card; FB Chat, Yahoo video messenger, etc. etc. etc.
  15. Keybeeetsss

Landscape mode goin left or right, Skype works great, Video Ringtones...
  16. errant1

errant1 New Member

17. SurrealOne

All better wayyyyyyyyyy better
  18. SurrealOne

oop's almost forgot to upgrade the market
  19. Keybeeetsss

20. thepervster

thepervster Active Member

and it is not necessary to write down all your apps just install appbrain and sync them there, then after you update to the new build just reinstall appbrain from the market and re sync apps it will put them back on your phone paid or free.:)
    SurrealOne likes this.
  21. SurrealOne

Ok I was happy before but now this phone rocks. I can care less why Sprint will not release the update. Thanks to all that helped.
  22. jkmola

jkmola New Member

Looks like the link is no good anymore.
  23. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

the update.zip doesn't exist from that site.
  24. SurrealOne

Wow it looks like google pulled it. Strange... I'm sure you can find it on XDA