• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Upgrade memory card!

MrPotter

Lurker
Jul 15, 2010
Hi!

I have a problem!

I have rooted my Desire and it works like a charm. BUT.
Now when I want to upgrade my memory card from a 4Gb to a 8Gb card, I ran into some problems!
My Desire refuses to start up with the new card, it comes to the boot screen and loops from there!
What am I doing wrong?

/D

Hi!

I have a problem!

I have rooted my Desire and it works like a charm. BUT.
Now when I want to upgrade my memory card from a 4Gb to a 8Gb card, I ran into some problems!
My Desire refuses to start up with the new card, it comes to the boot screen and loops from there!
What am I doing wrong?

/D

Try formatting the card in a card reader, make sure its fat32 then try it in your phone.

Upvote 0
don't make it a goldcard!!

Your problem is the a2sd. Your old card has all your apps on it in the ext partition. Your new card doesn't, and it's trying to find them.

Uncharted terratory for me, but I'd suggest the best thing to do is to put your old card back in, do a full backup with titanium, factory reset, put in new card (it should now boot up btw) and partition it via recovery, use titanium to restore all your apps/data.

There might be an easier way, but I'm pretty sure that will work if you can't find any other way.

Just make sure you do a nandroid backup before doing any of the above, so my ass is covered :p

Upvote 0
Woohoo! Figured it out!

Right, I take no responsibility for what happens to your phone so and this is a slight addition to Lekkys root guide.

1. Turn on your phone while holding the volume down button.
  2. You will see HBOOT on the screen.
  3. Use the volume buttons to move up and down and power button to select the RECOVERY option.
  4. You will now see a red triangle on the screen, at this point plug your phone into your PC via your microUSB cable.
  5. Double click on recovery-windows.bat inside the pushfiles_windows.zipfolder you unzipped as part of the root process.
  6. Using the optical trackpad select Partition sdcard > Partition SD
  7. Select SWAP=0, EXT2=512 and allow the rest to be FAT32.
  8. Select the SD:ext2 to ext3 option in this menu.
  9. Go back to the Recovery Console main menu and select Reboot system now. While rebooting, unplug the Desire from the USB port.
  10. And thats it! You now have a rooted Desire with apps2sd.
  11. Using a card reader copy all your files from your old card onto your desktop in a folder.
  12. Put your new card into the card reader and copy all the old cards files over to the root of the folder (so it looks like the old card structurally).
  13. Insert new card into the phone and give it a little while to boot, shazam, your new card will work!
Good luck. It worked for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones