• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Upgrade to ICS only installs 2.3.4

aod

Jan 21, 2012
I've just tried to update my SK17i to Android 4.0 ICS.

I followed the instructions on Xperia.

The phone upgraded, but only from 2.3.3, to 2.3.4, build 4.0.2.A.0.58.

It's still running Gingerbread, and not Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.

I also tried the Sony Update service Update service - Sony Smartphones (UK), but it said my phone already has the latest updates.

Given that the Mini Pro SK17i is supposed to support ICS 4.0 and sony have an official ROM - why is my phone only updating from Gingerbread 2.3.3 to Gingerbread 2.3.4?

Unfortunately in this circumstance it appears you have the latest version specific to the network/region your handset was made for. For further information regarding the approval process please see here: Ice Cream Sandwich

Thanks for the info. I had a quick read but couldn't find anything specific as to why it wasn't realised for my particular configuration of phone/network/region.

I'm surprised it's not available as I'm in the UK and on one of the biggest networks.

Is there somewhere I can download the official SE ICS ROM for this phone and force an upgrade?

I'd rather not go for a custom ROM if possible. If this isn't possible, what is one of the best ICS custom ROMs, which is stable and supports the most features?

Upvote 0
There used to what is known as S1 list on the sonymobile forums which made it easy to find which phones are compatible with ICS upgrade ....

Go to XDA ..
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1568792
Get the 0.587 firmware which is latest "stock" firmware ...(I have no idea where to find one since I make my own FTFs)
This is the ROMs and FTF thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2148684

ICS is slower compared to GB and is not recommended if you are into gaming ..

As far as custom ROMs is concerned ,you need to try and check which one suits you ..
xNXT -9.1,Optimax 2.0 , MIUI, Zelly Cream ,Pureness ,NICS , and so one
These are for Locked Bootloaders ...

For Unlocked Bootloaders ,nothing personally beats CM 9.1 for being CM 9.1 ...
But you have option of Cm 9.1,CM10,CM 10.1,AOSP 4.2.2,Extended Cm 10.x and so on with Kernel 3.x goodness ...

Mostly it's like this Locked BL ROMS have amazing batter life with Stock ROM touching 22-24 hours on heavy usage

Unlocked BL ROMS have amazing speed ,bit buggy ,full of features ,and nonsense battery life ...8-10 hours on heavy usage..

You lose DRM,warranty and Sony specific features like Track ID,and Bravia engine once you unlock Bootloader ...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones