• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrading phone on grandfathered $30 plan

IMO, the option that makes the most sense all the way around is a trade in incentive.

That way they can make somewhat sure that you are indeed OFF of CDMA and ON GSM. Remember, THAT'S the REAL Whole Idea of any alleged incentive.

That being said, I don't think Metro is Smart Enough to do it. :rolleyes:
(Take that all yall who say I'm a Metro fanboy.)

If I had to bet, I'd say they just delay the CDMA turn-off until around March of '15. That way they could Do Squat for the last stragglers and tell them, "Hey, we gave you Two Whole Years notice. Buy yourself a new phone, it's Already Long Past Due for you when compared to All Other cell users".

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Upvote 0
i believe a trade in program makes the most sense, its what sprint did when iden went down. by telling customers to stuff it they risk what could amount to a class action. it would work better in tmetros interests to get all the grandfather in people and get them over to gsm and free up valuable spectrum.

Upvote 0
If I had to bet, I'd say they just delay the CDMA turn-off until around March of '15. That way they could Do Squat for the last stragglers and tell them, "Hey, we gave you Two Whole Years notice. Buy yourself a new phone, it's Already Long Past Due for you when compared to All Other cell users".

The CDMA shutoff date is scheduled for sometime in Q2(April 1st - June 30th) 2015

Upvote 0
OK..I been away from the boards for awhile so I'm trying to catch up on this merger thingy pertaining to new phones and such.

I have the LG connect and it's a CDMA.

I have the the grandfathered $60 plan....unlimited everything.

First off..how do I know if a phone on MetroPCS website is CDMA or the newer GSM ?

Also..If I were to upgrade (just phone not plan ) to a S4 (if it is GSM I don't know) and it's a GSM phone do I lose my current plan ?

Thanks

Upvote 0
OK..I been away from the boards for awhile so I'm trying to catch up on this merger thingy pertaining to new phones and such.

I have the LG connect and it's a CDMA.

I have the the grandfathered $60 plan....unlimited everything.

First off..how do I know if a phone on MetroPCS website is CDMA or the newer GSM ?

Also..If I were to upgrade (just phone not plan ) to a S4 (if it is GSM I don't know) and it's a GSM phone do I lose my current plan ?

Thanks

All phones on there site are GSM

So any upgrade to a GSM phone (S4) You'd have to upgrade you're plan also

But the $60 plan is unlimited everything right now

Reactions: BlueMuscles
Upvote 0
My android tech says he can make any CDMA phone work on my $30 plan.

Is there any decent phone (like S3) that does CDMA and GSM so if they can CDMA I don't have to upgrade again?
There are phones that have CDMA and GSM, however your out of luck on using one because the CDMA esn has to be in Metro pcs's system for it to be used, and none of metro's cdma phones are cdma/gsm capable.

The Nexus 5 is one such phone and it can be used on sprints cdma network but not metro's.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Like was said any phone entered into GSM would need one of the new plans no matter if it's a CDMA/GSM

So' I have a question regarding this from a law firm stand point. i'm have a cousin who is journeyman with the law firm of Coldmen and Meyer there a small Corporate firm that deals with false advertising and corporate fraud things like that. he just told me the following.

federal law mandates that if the cellular company allows grandfathering of their cellular plans then once a plan falls into (as they say) a feathered state a cellular company under no circumstances can force the customer to lose said grandfathered plan. and in california the state regulatory board along with the state senate also implemented the federal guidelines at the state level.

So am i reading this right are actual employees of T-Mobile/Metropcs stating that the company is actually forcing Grandfathered Customers off of Grandfathered Plans even though that would violate state and federal law.

I'm just curious here to this answer

Upvote 0
So' I have a question regarding this from a law firm stand point. i'm have a cousin who is journeyman with the law firm of Coldmen and Meyer there a small Corporate firm that deals with false advertising and corporate fraud things like that. he just told me the following.

federal law mandates that if the cellular company allows grandfathering of their cellular plans then once a plan falls into (as they say) a feathered state a cellular company under no circumstances can force the customer to lose said grandfathered plan. and in california the state regulatory board along with the state senate also implemented the federal guidelines at the state level.

So am i reading this right are actual employees of T-Mobile/Metropcs stating that the company is actually forcing Grandfathered Customers off of Grandfathered Plans even though that would violate state and federal law.

I'm just curious here to this answer

No one is forcing anyone to upgrade. you can stay on the CDMA network as long as you like, they gave ample time of them saying its being turned off. you can choose to sign on a new gsm plan or take the business elsewhere, they are offering trade ins that are well above street value. Ldrifta got 300 bucks for his SGS3 when a sprint one which will still work for many years to come runs about 130 on swappa.

if this was truly such a sue-able offense then it would have happen when sprint shut down iden, and now with their wimax network.

Reactions: Gman9831
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones