• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Upgrading/Tethering

txheart0711

Jun 16, 2011
Hi y'all,
I'm having issues. Long story short, I thought I'd bricked my phone and this forum helped me flash it back to stock, thereby saving my butt! Thank you for that. 6 months later, I'm really bored with stock. I decided to try upgrading to Cyan or Icarus.

Opened Rom Manager (paid for the premium license), and it tells me I have to have the newest version. Typing Rom Manager in market does not give me the Rom Manager that I have used, the closest thing is Rom Toolbox, so I tried that, but I don't see a way to download roms like Rom Manager did. So I went an alternate route and downloaded Rom Manager.zip from MediaFire or something. When I try to move it from my desktop onto the SD card, it tells me I don't have room for it.

I have basically un-installed every item that did not come with stock to try and make room, but I'm still a LONG way off. Thought I'd try the "old-fashioned" way, without Rom Manager. Came here, downloaded the Icarus mod onto my desktop per the instructions, and it wont move to my sd card either-says not enough space. I'm getting quite frustrated!! How the heck can I upgrade my phone if I need to upgrade my phone to get more space? Btw, it is rooted via Z4 or whatever that was. lol

I got a new laptop but don't have wireless at home, and I remembered seeing something about tethering, using my phone's internet to connect my laptop. That's not working for me either. I've tried Wifi Tether, Barnacle and PDAnet - to no avail. My guess was that I needed to upgrade, which is what started all of this.

Help? Again, that is.

OK here's the deal...

Move ALL contents of your sd to your computer.

If you don't have clockwork mod recovery flash it manually

Download the rom over Wi-Fi directly to your sd card (use an alternate browser like dolphin)

Follow the manual for flashing skipping the part where you move the rom to your phone.

When you get to "choose zip from sd" look in "downloads" and select the rom

You're good to go.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones