• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Uptodown.com - I just got a Virus from them

TJN

Aug 11, 2016
Just a warning that I just got a Trojan:Win32/Spursint.A!cl when trying to down load from their site.

Has anyone else had problems with this site? Or anyone have good luck with them?

Luckily my security system flagged it and removed it. So be very careful downloading anything from UPTODOWN.COM

I was trying to get a old version of Yahoo email.

The following error occurred: Error code 0x80508023. The program could not find the malware and other potentially unwanted software on this computer.

Category: Trojan

Description: This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker.

Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.

Items:
containerfile:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\LocalCopy\{7B65C250-CF0D-40AB-BBE0-D56203BFA54D}-yahoo-mail-4-9-2-multi-android.apk
file:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\LocalCopy\{7B65C250-CF0D-40AB-BBE0-D56203BFA54D}-yahoo-mail-4-9-2-multi-android.apk->assets/message_composer/js/addContactButtonController.js
webfile:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\LocalCopy\{7B65C250-CF0D-40AB-BBE0-D56203BFA54D}-yahoo-mail-4-9-2-multi-android.apk|chrome.exe

Get more information about this item online.

Upvote 0
Just a warning that I just got a Trojan:Win32/Spursint.A!cl when trying to down load from their site.

Has anyone else had problems with this site? Or anyone have good luck with them?

Luckily my security system flagged it and removed it. So be very careful downloading anything from UPTODOWN.COM

I was trying to get a old version of Yahoo email.
Trojan:Win32, Android wouldn't know what to do with that. If you were using a Windows PC on the other hand...yeh...not good.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Trojan:Win32, Android wouldn't know what to do with that. If you were using a Windows PC on the other hand...yeh...not good.

I agree. My Windows 7 PC did not like it at all.

If I am not using Google Play Store, I download programs to my PC first and then I transfer to my Android device.

I was just surprised to get a virus from this web site and I wanted to bring it your attention.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Personally I'd avoid any site that states

Note: Google forces us to redirect users of this app back to the Play Store for downloads. If you’d like to access many more external apps and have total access to the files on our servers, you can find the complete and free version of Uptodown by using the web browser on your device.

as it sounds as if it's punting pirateware. ;)

Upvote 0
(Go to second paragraph if you dont want to read my story) I was going to download Camtasia 8 and was intrigued by one that said "Camtasia 8.1 - free" from Uptodown.com. I clicked on it and it immediately began downloading a virus. I closed the download pop-up to hope it would stop the download but it didn't as I noticed on the chrome task-bar icon had the green loading thing behind it. So I googled if Uptodown.com downloaded viruses and found that it did. Well I had a mini panic attack as I didn't know what to do so I closed the page with a pop up that said "There is a download in progress would you like to cancel?" I clicked cancel thank the lord that was an option.
So if anyone reading this sees anything from uptodown.com do NOT click on it as it begins downloading the virus immediately as you open the site. Also as an online safety tip: before you click on any website that is not the official downloading website of anything google if it downloads viruses or not it will keep you safer. Also if you are going to download something you have to buy don't click on anything that says (Your app thing) - Free! because the only way you for sure are not going to get a virus is to buy the thing or not download it at all. Stay Safe!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones