• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

USB 3.0 Port replicator?

Entirely possible *snicker* I'm looking at the Koutech USB 3.0 based card readers + 3 USB 3.0 ports, but that thing has some awful reviews. I'd like to revert my USB 2.0 to just the ports and have my Card readers all running off of the USB 3 (one of 2) on my motherboard....

May look around for someone else that does this as well soon. My motherboard is an X58 based mobo with only the 2 USB 3.0 Type A on the back of the mobo, no headers internally, so that means I basically either need one with a PCI 1X connector (b/c I have a 1X slot free) or else one that plugs directly into the USB 3.0 Type A connector on the back of ht mobo - and it needs to have a cable of decent length....

Upvote 0
What every happened to firewire? wasn't it suppose to kill off USB
IEEE-1394 a.k.a. Firewire is still popular with more technical users, and "creative" users that need lots of throughput and prefer external drives.

I think that USB2 won because it had a slightly bigger number, and people who didn't know the finer points of the two standards went for the bigger number. "It's 80 faster..." A shame really.

IMO, Firewire 800 is still plenty quick for most people's needs. I'm not seeing real big USB3 support, so I'm using my existing USB2 and IEEE-1394 stuff (and my GigE NAS) until Thunderbolt comes...if it comes in a big way...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones