• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB connection issue after upgrade to 6.0

D

Deleted User

After upgrading my Nexus 5 to Android 6 Marshmallow this week, I noticed a difference in behaviour when I connect the phone to my computer (running Ubuntu 14.04).

It seems like the device does not automatically initiate MTP, so I do the following

1. Tap on 'USB debugging connected'
2. Select USB Configuration
3. Tap on 'MTP' (which is already selected btw)

Then the files show up in the file browser. Before the upgrade the phone would just do all this automatically.

Anyone else noticed this?

Yeah, changing the option in developer settings only works one time, then you have to select it again. Until they fix that, the simplest way to get an mtp connection is to slide down the notification shade after your device is plugged in and tap the USB notification and select mtp.

Upvote 0
I have just 'upgraded' to Marshmallow, and the options have disappeared from the storage and USB.
I used to choose settings, then storage and USB, and then select the settings options in the top corner, but no instead of displaying settings it says 'help and feedback', and therefore I can no longer select the MTP mode,
Anyone know what's happened here?

Upvote 0
I have just 'upgraded' to Marshmallow, and the options have disappeared from the storage and USB.
I used to choose settings, then storage and USB, and then select the settings options in the top corner, but no instead of displaying settings it says 'help and feedback', and therefore I can no longer select the MTP mode,
Anyone know what's happened here?

As Brian indicated above, you have to select MTP each time using the connection notification on the device. Default is always charge only. The USB stuff in Storage and USB is now only relevant to SD cards or connected USB storage (connected to the phone).

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/android-6-0-marshmallow-thoroughly-reviewed/7/#h2

Upvote 0
As Brian indicated above, you have to select MTP each time using the connection notification on the device. Default is always charge only. The USB stuff in Storage and USB is now only relevant to SD cards or connected USB storage (connected to the phone).

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/android-6-0-marshmallow-thoroughly-reviewed/7/#h2

I'm sorry, but I'm not understanding this. I'm having the same problem, and cannot figure out how to select MTP when I connect the phone to the USB.

I've read the article, but it's over my head.

Can anyone dumb this down for me?

Thanks

EDIT: I'm using Windows 10, if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but I'm not understanding this. I'm having the same problem, and cannot figure out how to select MTP when I connect the phone to the USB.

I've read the article, but it's over my head.

Can anyone dumb this down for me?

Thanks

EDIT: I'm using Windows 10, if that makes a difference.

See post number 5. That's all you need. The article link was just more background. When you connect the phone to your PC (I use WIn 10) it will connect as "Charge Only." Open the notification that it is connected on your phone and a box pops up with the connection options. Switch it from "Charge On;y" to "MTP." Then you should be fine.

For now, however, you have to do it manually like this each time.

Reactions: jj14x
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones