• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB Connection Problems

Jmanphipps

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
When I connected my Nexus 5 to my PC via USB it doesn't show up when I selected Media Device (MTP). It would show up if I selected "Camera (PTP)" but that doesn't give me access to all of the folders I need to get into.

I have the correct USB drivers installed from [http://]koush.com/post/universal-adb-driver.

I have re-installed drivers, had USB debugging enabled and disabled (for installation and connections), rebooted PC and Android after each change, I am using the cable that came with the device, but I am stumped on this fix.

NOTE: The PC is Windows 8.1, and makes that famous sound whenever the Nexus [or any external device] plugs in as a PTP, but plug it in as a MTP and you get the unplug notification sound. It is still plugged in, able to browse files in PTP, but switch to MPT (taken out and put back in, or left in) and it 'disconnects'. Also, the drivers only show when the Nexus 5 is plugged in.

Any ideas on how to browse my Nexus 5's files?

PS. I will record using "Steps Recorder" or take screenshots if requested. Thank you again!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones