• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

USB Down graded to 2.0?

I never saw the benefit of 3.0 on the N3. For one thing, it made you go into airplane mode, and secondly, I did not notice fast file transfer when copying stuff from my computer to the phone. (yes the computer does in fact have 2 USB 3.0 ports.)

Lastly, when I was connected as 3.0, I would get disconnected quite a bunch, and have to tell the phone to reconnect the 3.0 connection. It was a pain honestly.

2.0 on the N4 works just fine for me, I can stay connected to my PC and transfer files both ways very quickly and efficiently.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
This is a little off topic, but I'm just curious. I haven't yet had to link my Note 4 to my PC at work. Do I need Kies installed to set up as USB, or will it auto install the driver hardware like the S4 did?

Most of the time I need a file on my phone I can post it to DropBox or Drive, and grab it from there.

If I need to do a bulk transfer, I pop the card out and put it in a reader on my PC to speed things up, so I haven't needed to hook it up yet.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I never noticed a huge difference in transfer speeds with the USB 3.0 and my laptop. I did check my manual for the N3 and Samsung did say that there were issues with calls disconnecting while transferring with 3.0. Obviously they couldn't get the bugs worked out and went back to 2.0.
On the Kies issue, the PC "should" install the drivers automatically to enable file transfer. Kies is such a software pig I hate using it. :banghead:

Upvote 0
yes they did move back to the standard 2.0 usb due to issues that they were experiencing. they were getting many issues with the charging cable having defects and after short amounts of time the charing cable would just crap out or the charging port would. so instead of keeping them and trying to find a solution they switched back to the 2.0 usb. they are currently still looking for a solution to the 3.0 issue. I am an actual samsung rep who works in a call center. hope this info helped a bit! :)

Upvote 0
because when they made the s5, for some reason the issues with the 3.0 usb werent quite known by samsung at that time. truth is samsung does have some known issues with theyre devices but policy requires us to tell cusotmers that there is no known issues. thats why i joined the android forum so that way i could get these types of pieces of info out to the general public. lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones