• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB not detected, won't mount

This worked for me!! Thanks Patrick! I've tried everything I could think of.

I had the same problem over the last few months and it progressively got worse. Yesterday, try as I may (and I tried all of the software-based fixes I could find), nothing would work. Even the charger would no longer juice it up.

That made me think that it could actually be a physical problem, not a software one. So I looked at the micro USB port and the slot in the middle (the tongue, if you will), seemed to be tilted too far down. I stuck a glasses flathead screwdriver (one of those really slim ones) in there and bent the connector upwards so that it was roughly in the center of the cavity. Plugged the cable back in and, lo and behold, all functionality fully restored!

I would caution that if you're doing this, do it as a last resort, and do it gently since you're forcing something that's fairly delicate.

I've noticed this problem on other Nexus phones and I chalk it up to the way that the micro USB slot is unsupported (so it can bend easily).

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Oh my!! I am SO glad I am NOT the only one having this issue but what an issue!! Even though I do tend to be a Goober I am a bit computer saavy but NOT Android saavy LOL!!! I don't know what "root" my phone means but I am guessing set up at a "base" computer - I have NEVER been able to make that happen. Now once, just ONCE I was able to get a window to show ways I COULD open files if I wanted to and like a Goober I was busy & decided not to do it THEN **cries**. I don't have an extra memory card in my phone - I need to get pictures off my phone - I have a trip to Az with my sister, my 3 grandchildren, me, and some other fairly important things!!! I am honestly going to have a problem even finding my way BACK to this thread so if anyone can PLEASE give me some suggestions an email would be awesome!!!!
lynwelch720@gmail.com
I am going to keep trying.......I didn't get any drivers when I got the phone....not even a disc for the manual **sigh** They expect too much of us old folk....
Thanks !!!!

Upvote 0
I've seen quite a few long threads, and had some long days, over trying to connect a droid via USB. Usually the cable issue is not attended to carefully enough. My bionic NEVER will be recognized by a PC without the original Motorola cable. Many other very good cables fit, charge the phone, but don't work. It isn't enough to try several cables, or even a cable that worked with a different droid device.

I would recommend that if you have any trouble getting your device to be recognized (usb icon appears in notification bar when connected), get an original Motorola USB cable made specifically for your phone AND verify that it works with another droid, if there is any doubt. You can do this at a dealer without sinking any cash into testing it, and buy the cable if it solves the problem, or if it changes the behavior of your phone on USB, even if it doesn't solve the whole problem ( could be multiple issues ).

Upvote 0
I would recommend that if you have any trouble getting your device to be recognized (usb icon appears in notification bar when connected), get an original Motorola USB cable made specifically for your phone ...

I've had exactly the same problem as countless other people have posted here and elsewhere. I thought, "surely the cable isn't the problem, since my phone is charging," but out of desperation I tried using a different cable, and quickstudy61 was exactly right. Even though other cables charge my phone, only my "spare" cable caused my phone to finally detect it was connected to my PC via USB.

Upvote 0
I had the problem where the USB Storage can only be mounted when the phone is in the recovery mode.
After digging for more than an hour, I suspected that the problem is caused by insufficient space. So I deleted the downloads folder (which consumed more than 2GB), then the issue's gone after reboot. :)

I have to add that the problem started when disconnecting with Kies after taking a backup, and that the free space was more than 200MB.

Model: SGH-I727R
Android: 2.3.5
Kernel: 2.6.35.11
Build: GINGERBREAD.RUXKJ7

Hi All,
I have an SGS2 LTE from Rogers in Canada (same phone as the skyrocket) that has recently developed a USB issue. Whenever the phone is plugged in via USB it will begin charging, but the phone will not recognize a computer and give an option to mount (i.e. the usb icon does not appear in the drawbar). I have tried multiple usb cables including the stock sammy cable, multiple USB ports on each computer, and multiple computers. The USB used to work just fine, so I suspect it is an issue with the port on the phone.

The catch is that I rooted the phone a few weeks ago using the SuperOneClick method. The usb issue began happening shortly after - no idea whether the two events are connected. I'm still using the stock ROM, but I'm concerned about trying to warranty the USB port if the phone is rooted, and I'd like to make sure that it is indeed a hardware issue and not related to the rooting.

Questions:
1) Any ideas on the USB issue and how to possibly fix it?
2) Any ideas on how to unroot the phone, given that it won't mount via USB? Or advice on how to warranty it?

Any help is appreciated!

Upvote 0
I've seen quite a few long threads, and had some long days, over trying to connect a droid via USB. Usually the cable issue is not attended to carefully enough. My bionic NEVER will be recognized by a PC without the original Motorola cable. Many other very good cables fit, charge the phone, but don't work. It isn't enough to try several cables, or even a cable that worked with a different droid device.

I would recommend that if you have any trouble getting your device to be recognized (usb icon appears in notification bar when connected), get an original Motorola USB cable made specifically for your phone AND verify that it works with another droid, if there is any doubt. You can do this at a dealer without sinking any cash into testing it, and buy the cable if it solves the problem, or if it changes the behavior of your phone on USB, even if it doesn't solve the whole problem ( could be multiple issues ).

thats true, some usb cables may not work or not recognized by the pc. after installing the latest software upgrade to 4.0.4. my pc does not recognizes my s2 from a generic usb cable ive bought from att. But when i changed the cable from another samsung phone cable charger, it works and was recognized the moment i plugged in.

Upvote 0
FACTORY MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I727
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: NO
CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL
Downloading...
Do not turn off target!!

I have removed the battery to restart, also tried vol-up, vol-down and power at the same time.. nothing. It ONLY starts like this. Won't connect to any PC or MAC either. Ugh... is my phone now bricked?

Welcome to the forum Cynthia. :ciao:

It looks like your in Odin download mode. Can you get to recovery and try a factory reset? I don't have the Skyrocket but it looks like you hold both volume buttons and then the power button. I see you have done that, but did you let go of the power button and keep holding the volume buttons?

If you can't factory reset, You can download the stock Jellybean update for the AT&T SGH-I727 from Sammobile. Then Follow this guide using that stock firmware instead of the one listed in the guide. That will get your phone working again.

Upvote 0
I'm so happy right now I have to write something somewhere.. :D

I haven't been able to transfer data via USB since I got my Moto E a year ago. Doesn't matter what I do. Once about ½ year ago it worked one time but after reboot no more. Tried everything twice. Read all forums. Gave up.

Anyway. Now it works. On all PCs (Win 7). All the time. Doesn't matter if I have "Motorola Device Manager" installed or not. Doesn't matter if phone is unlocked or screen is black. Just keeps on working. If I connect it to a PC for the first time, the PC installs a driver (supposedly from Microsoft 2006), takes 3 seconds then it works. And the USB cable is the same I used at most previous attempts. And an ordinary USB2 port.

My conclusion is that it must be due to some update of the phone or Windows. I haven't done any specific updates for this so whatever it is, it must have come with some general update. So if anyone else has had these problems then maybe just try again now.

In my state of total bliss I can't help thinking: I wish Motorola & Microsoft recognized this problem long ago.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones