USB not working, will charge phone but will not mount or ask to mount etcSupport

Last Updated:

1. steven868

steven868 Member This Topic's Starter

I recently purchased an 8gb sdmicro card for my samsung moment, which i put in my phone, then got home tried to hook it up to my pc with the usb cable...nothning happened, but i got this error warning or so talking about usb malfunction or something, heres a screen shot of what i saw popped up.
    do i need to install new usb drivers for the phone?
    also i can hear the pc making that dun dun,... dun dun sound when u plug in a usb device, but it keeps doing it over and over... while the phones charing thru it.

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. thepinkc

thepinkc Well-Known Member

Restart your phone, and make sure USB Debugging is checked off if you are using a PC.

1. Restart your Android phone. (This step may be skipped by some users; others will find the computer doesn’t recognize the phone’s SD card without a restart of the phone.)
    2. Plug your USB cord that came with the phone to the phone, and connect to the Mac.
    3. Go to Settings > Applications > Development on your phone and click on USB Debugging (if you're using a Mac, off if you are using a PC).
    4. Drag down the notifications window and click on USB Connection. Click on Mount.
    5. Now you’ll see the drive “No Name” on your desktop. You can now copy files to/from your SD drive.

Robot!Man likes this.
  3. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

I get this a lot. I use PDANet a lot to tether my phone, and I know it's only going to work if that mounting option shows up. When it won't, I just reboot and usually it's ok.

4. pattonthegen

pattonthegen Well-Known Member

I am having a problem with mine as well. I recently bought a new 8gig SD card and was trying to change it out, buy I keep having to restart my phone to get it to connect to my pc.

I connect the phone via usb to my pc I get the dun dun sound and even the box that pops up shoing that the pc is reading the files but then nothing happens. So I unhook my phone restart it and try again. I finally get it hooked up to the phone where i can open the files on my phone. I noticed that if the phone goes into sleep mode it breaks the connection with the pc, and I have to repete the steps above all over again.

Once I have it connected I slide down the notifications bar and click on the mount option, and start to copy over files from my phone to my pc, but when I am done I slide down the bar again and select (uh can't remember exact wording, but something like turn off usb mass storage. However I get a warning message that says to make sure and unmount the SD card before doing so, but I don't see anywhere to unmount the SD card). So i have no choice but to just select turn off usb mass storage device.

This whole process seems to be a pain in the butt to just copy over simple pictures to my pc. I also noticed that there are two diffrent folders (that i have found so far) that seem to have pictures in it. The camera folder, and a folder called downloaded. Do I have to copy both those folders over to my pc so that I can later move them back to my phone with the new SD card?? If so does it matter if I put them all in the same folder or do i have to keep them seperate? Is there anything else I need to copy over to my pc before changing out the SD card?

5. steven868

steven868 Member This Topic's Starter

got it working thanks!

6. Jillian87

Jillian87 New Member

turn off usb debugging on android or pc b/c im havein the same problem i have a brand new HP windows 8 pavilion g7 pc and 2 brand new usb cords with 4 usb ports
    thank u in advance please all its doing is charging and i've tried 4 different cords and just now went out and bought another one it dont even recignize that i plugged anything in the pc but the phone does charge do there not broke its not possible the pc is only 2 months old