• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB Port not enough to charge EPIC while using it

cyberpine

Jun 14, 2010
When I plug my Samsung Epic into the usb port of my dell desktop at work I can see it's charging, but the charge is apparently not enough to even remain at battery level if I'm using it to phone, message, speaker or tether.

This is not the case when I plug the phone into the wall charger (espcially my wife's 900ma Evo charger or my Dodge Ram's USB port)

Damn shame really as It limits how long I can tether for.

Anybody else?

wall chargers and other data pin short chargers will charge at about 680 ma. standard usb, including plugged into your computer or chargers not specifically altered so they are not usb spec will charge at about 380. The epic is able to draw over 650ma in certain uses.

if you are putting 380 in, and using 400 or 500, you will drain battery

Upvote 0
I've also been frustrated by this behavior. I went looking for an app to show me the charge rate, but came up empty. Then I noticed the following in System Profiler:

iPhone:
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500

SAMSUNG_Android SPH-D700:
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 96

My iPhone has always charged very quickly. Is this an OS bug? It seems to happen on other Android models ...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones