USB Port not enough to charge EPIC while using itSupport

Last Updated:

1. cyberpine

cyberpine Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I plug my Samsung Epic into the usb port of my dell desktop at work I can see it's charging, but the charge is apparently not enough to even remain at battery level if I'm using it to phone, message, speaker or tether.

This is not the case when I plug the phone into the wall charger (espcially my wife's 900ma Evo charger or my Dodge Ram's USB port)

Damn shame really as It limits how long I can tether for.

Anybody else?

Advertisement
  2. razer

razer Active Member

When you plug it into the wall you will get a ton more juice flowing into charging the battery.

USB doesn't have that kind of power. I've been wondering if USB2 has that type of power, but I am not sure.

3. manticore

manticore New Member

When using apps like pandora or tune-in, even plugged into desk dock it can't maintain the battery.

4. Aero1

Aero1 Well-Known Member

wall chargers and other data pin short chargers will charge at about 680 ma. standard usb, including plugged into your computer or chargers not specifically altered so they are not usb spec will charge at about 380. The epic is able to draw over 650ma in certain uses.

if you are putting 380 in, and using 400 or 500, you will drain battery

5. Howard Packer

Howard Packer Well-Known Member

Along the same lines, how come my Epic drops to 85 percent on the battery within a minute (usually instantly or within a few seconds) of when it shows that it was fully charged on USB? It stays at 100, or maybe drops to something like 98, right after I unplug from the wall charger, and goes down from there at a rate that seems correct.

6. randroidepic

randroidepic New Member

I've also been frustrated by this behavior. I went looking for an app to show me the charge rate, but came up empty. Then I noticed the following in System Profiler:

iPhone:
    Current Available (mA): 500
    Current Required (mA): 500

SAMSUNG_Android SPH-D700:
    Current Required (mA): 96

My iPhone has always charged very quickly. Is this an OS bug? It seems to happen on other Android models ...

7. Android XTC

Android XTC Banned

Same here negative charge in use, even with the wall charger. My phone also takes over 3.5 hours to fully charge a dead battery with the phone off. Thats using my 700ma Blackberry charger. Thats ridiculous.

8. randroidepic

randroidepic New Member

And look here (from a Droid)!

Motorola A855:
    Current Required (mA): 500