• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root usb port not working and best buy

Yoketah

May 24, 2010
Hello, ever since I got my Evo, there has been this lingering problem with my usb port. After a few weeks, the usb cable that came with it stopped working, unless I pushed it back, which would make it recognize the cord. When I got the phone, I did the 10 per month coverage fee, because the reason why I got a new phone in the first place, was because my pre paid phone crapped out on me, and I didn't want thet to happed again.

So I took it to best buy, and naturaly it worked. So I thought it was just a bad cord. I bought a more expensive cord from radio shack, which in turn had a better click feeling to it when I plugged it in. This cord worked fantasticly...until a few days ago. Same thing, only works if I push the base of the cord back. I thought I broke this one too, in my sleep or something, so I ended up buying another micro usb! Plugged it in, and what do you know....doesn't work.

At this point I am convinced my port is just damaged. There is a little data stick in there, that looks like it could be shifted and broken. So I still am paying that 10 a month fee, and may as well try to put it to use. Now on to the point of why I put this in the modding section (I know, finnally right :p )

I have a rooted phone, and if I bring it in to have it exchanged, will I need to un-root it because it voids the warranty. I know for the sprint stores it's adviced, but this is best buy, and I don't know what there policies are. To transfer my data should I just do a nandroid back up and, back up everything on my sd card onto my computer, thus problem solved. Or is there more to it.

Sorry about the long walls of text x(

Somebody please confirm me if I am right or correct me if I am wrong...

If you are going to be taking your phone in for service I recommend unrooting your phone. It is so easy to root again, there is no reason to risk it. I may be wrong on this, but I believe if the phone is sent in it will eventually get back to Sprint anyway.

For the second question, I believe you are asking if you can just perform a nandroid backup, save that on your computer, and then load it back on when you get your phone back? If you actually get the same phone back, then I do not believe that would be a problem. However, I believe the chances you would get the same phone back are slim and you should not flash a nandroid made on one phone onto the other. I believe this can cause some serious issues.

I hope that helps answer your questions. Please clarify what you are asking if it didn't.

Reactions: Yoketah
Upvote 0
Bestbuy repair is reportedly taking about 3 weeks to get your phone back if its repaired. You should be able to take it too a corporate sprint store and they should be able to repair it for $35 is their new policy. If you do that you might want to tell then you don't want a refurbished replacement (unless you do) and they "should" be able to repair yours.

Upvote 0
I've had the same issue. I went into a local Sprint store (not truly Sprint, just a authorized repair facility) and the 18 year old punk refused to warranty my repair on my brand new phone - claiming that I must have damaged my two week old phone (short story). I laughed and let him know that I will have my phone replaced by Sprint. I called Sprint and reminded them of my loyalty of 10+years and recent 4 different Android phone purchases in the last 6months (2 at non-upgrade prices). My replacement 'new' phone was shipped immediately and I received my full warranty replacement the next day at no charge.

I also filed a formal complaint against the local store through Sprint and also informed the Manager of the store whom then had the owner contact me and formally apologize. I was offered a 40% discount on a new phone at my next purchase if I buy one from him. I'll probably use that for my next EVO purchase for my additional line.

I even received a follow up call confirming that I received the phone and asking if I was satisfied with the customer service.

Sprint will warranty these issues through HTC

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones