• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using a separate email address for contact sync..need some suggestion

taylormah

Jul 21, 2010
I am new to android (never owned one before), and will be getting my first android device soon. I have one gmail account, another mail account with google apps and a yahoo mail account, so my contacts are spread around. So I made a separate gmail account just so that I could fetch all contacts at one place and delete the ones I dont need, and then do selective contact sync with android device. I will also use this account to back up my SMS's and any other kind of data that can be backed up in cloud.

I wanted to ask you guys when setting up the device, should I use my newly created gmail account as primary account or the one that I am using on daily basis?? My main concern is that once I bought apps with one account, I wont be able to use another account again later, so I want to get it right from the start. Also, can android still use calender and email from my other gmail accounts as primary calender/email??

I would suggest looking into a free cloud backup system from the Android market. There are plenty out there where you can combine and edit your contacts in one place to push to your phone, as opposed to an extra google account.(I used to do this, hated multiple accounts.) This will also keep your SMS, pictures, videos ect. backed up.

When you get the Android you just sign into your main gmail account and your email/contacts/purchased apps will sync up...

Not to try and push it too much, but the m:IQ app from Best Buy is designed to solve the issue... If you have a smartphone now, you can download the app on that as well to get all info off your phone easily.

Otherwise, you can just add contact groups online (from yahoo and/or google, and edit in m:IQ) then when you get your phone you just log in and all the data is there. Very simple solution you might want to check out that will make managing phone content easy! Everything is always backed up and always synced. (calender too)

Hope that helps you out! Good Luck!

Upvote 0
With a 3rd party app, I was concerned that it will drain the battery if let run in background. It might not a big concern, but I guess I need to try everything to see what works. One question - if I use m:iq and later I add some contact on the phone but want to sync it back to only my gmail account, or only my yahoo account, can I do that??

Upvote 0
With a 3rd party app, I was concerned that it will drain the battery if let run in background. It might not a big concern, but I guess I need to try everything to see what works. One question - if I use m:iq and later I add some contact on the phone but want to sync it back to only my gmail account, or only my yahoo account, can I do that??

We have not found anything to show a real big difference in day to day battery life. (Besides the initial download process...) If you are concerned about it, we have just released an update with manual sync, so you can control when the phone syncs and when the app is open.

Yes, mIQ will sync up everything with your gmail/yahoo when you have it selected. So if you add a contact or calender event, for example, they will appear in your phone, gmail/yahoo account, as well as mIQ account no matter where they are added from. (phone, mIQ online, gmail/yahoo) Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones