Using Droid in Puerto Rico??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Chuck1906, May 3, 2010.

1. Chuck1906

Chuck1906 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I am heading to Puerto Rico at the end of the month for vacation and I know my phone will work on a roaming tower down there but what about my apps? Will they work? I don't think the 3G internet will work but I am guessing Wi-Fi should work if I am in or close to a hot spot right? I don't ever recall my internet working there when I had the Voyager.

Another funny thing I noticed from my last trip to San Juan, there are plenty of VZW stores down there but they don't own any cell towers, at least that is what I was told by a VZW rep.

There is an app for the iphone and ipod touch that will alllow you to make calls over wi-fi and not even touch your cellular minutes. Is anything like that available for the Droid yet?

Advertisement

2. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
  3. ElBoricua

ElBoricua New Member

May 7, 2010
    I'm replying on this thread from Puerto Rico using my Droid. There's no 3G coverage, only 1X when using data services.... GPS rarely gets a pinpoint fix so the navigation does not work.. But you can still get pretty good directions.

Make sure you go to Settings->Wireless & network settings ->Mobile networks->Data roaming

4. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    NW.Indiana U.S.A.
    Dowload Mapdroid for gps use. Google maps will be slow over 1G and mapdroid is good for offline use.