• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Droid in Puerto Rico??

Chuck1906

Android Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2009
I am heading to Puerto Rico at the end of the month for vacation and I know my phone will work on a roaming tower down there but what about my apps? Will they work? I don't think the 3G internet will work but I am guessing Wi-Fi should work if I am in or close to a hot spot right? I don't ever recall my internet working there when I had the Voyager.

Another funny thing I noticed from my last trip to San Juan, there are plenty of VZW stores down there but they don't own any cell towers, at least that is what I was told by a VZW rep.

There is an app for the iphone and ipod touch that will alllow you to make calls over wi-fi and not even touch your cellular minutes. Is anything like that available for the Droid yet?

I'm replying on this thread from Puerto Rico using my Droid. There's no 3G coverage, only 1X when using data services.... GPS rarely gets a pinpoint fix so the navigation does not work.. But you can still get pretty good directions.

Make sure you go to Settings->Wireless & network settings ->Mobile networks->Data roaming

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones