Using Droid X after de-activation?

Last Updated:

1. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide This Topic's Starter

I know it

Advertisement
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

You can use it as long as you want. You can use it without a SIM card over WiFi or you put in a prepaid card and use it this way. No one has any rights to deactivate your phone - IT IS YOUR PROPERTY!

3. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

the X doesn't use Sim cards, but otherwise you are correct. Once you purchase and activate another phone on your number the X will still work over wifi for use of things like the market and the browser.

4. pjsockett

pjsockett Well-Known Member

I just put Froyo on my inactive Droid Eris last night. Everything functions just fine except 3G data. You can still use wifi, gps, bluetooth, market and you still have a great music player.

5. Theibault

Theibault Well-Known Member

As of right now, Verizon won't let you put a smartphone on a prepaid account. Just an FYI, but I hear that may change.

6. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide This Topic's Starter

Hmm, interesting point about GPS since the reciever should still be available. So if you don't have 3G VZW I assume you can't use Google NAV, but maybe some other NAV apps?

7. MCPO117

MCPO117 Well-Known Member

Being a retail manager of a Verizon store I can tell you right now they have no plans on doing smart phones on prepaid. There's no way to bill for internet usage that is fair to the consumer and still profitable for them.

8. urdaddi

urdaddi Well-Known Member

9. mp4podcastDOTc

mp4podcastDOTc New Member

Yes you can I bought a HTC Droid Incredible and I wanted to restore the device.

The phone will try and activate it's self. Just Google Bypass Activation. If you do not have cellphone service on that device.

Here is a photo on how to do it

Tip: How to Bypass Android Activation Screen on Motorola Droid - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

A lot of developers buy phones with no service to test on different chip sets I think.

Me I just review apps on my YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mp4podcastDOTcom

The way you do it on a HTC Droid Incredible

How To: Bypass the Activation Screen on the HTC Droid Incredible | TheUnlockr

10. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

Lol being a manager of a retail store you would be one of the last people to know when something new was coming. Its not a personal knock on your, that's just the way the company works.

Roxors likes this.
  11. mastertech007

mastertech007 Member

CoPilot Live works great. All maps downloaded to sd card.

12. Roxors

Roxors Well-Known Member

Yeah the DX is great i used it like that when i was overseas without having actual service on it.

as for the Manager comment LMFAO, but very true

13. rehpyc

rehpyc Well-Known Member

Being a retail manager of a Verizon store I can tell you right now there may be plans on doing smart phones on prepaid sometime in the future.

(see what I did right there?)

14. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

OP, I went through a thread like this of my own just a few weeks ago. Like you I see an opportunity to use this thing even after its life as a phone has ended. I have two kids who are always looking to jump on the internet for this or that... and IMO this is a great device for doing just that.

When you throw in the GPS, MP3 player and camera/video abilities it also has, man this thing is going to make for a great little device in its own right for years to come. All of my old flip phones, and even my Blackberries just sit around collecting dust now that I'm done with them. But this device is like a mini-tablet.

That's pretty cool.

15. Awirt714

Awirt714 New Member

Isnt it funny that now you can place Smart phones on pre pay accts?!?!