• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Droid X after de-activation?

As of right now, Verizon won't let you put a smartphone on a prepaid account. Just an FYI, but I hear that may change.
Being a retail manager of a Verizon store I can tell you right now they have no plans on doing smart phones on prepaid. There's no way to bill for internet usage that is fair to the consumer and still profitable for them.

Upvote 0
Yes you can I bought a HTC Droid Incredible and I wanted to restore the device.

The phone will try and activate it's self. Just Google Bypass Activation. If you do not have cellphone service on that device.

Here is a photo on how to do it

Tip: How to Bypass Android Activation Screen on Motorola Droid - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

A lot of developers buy phones with no service to test on different chip sets I think.

Me I just review apps on my YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mp4podcastDOTcom

The way you do it on a HTC Droid Incredible

How To: Bypass the Activation Screen on the HTC Droid Incredible | TheUnlockr

Upvote 0
Being a retail manager of a Verizon store I can tell you right now they have no plans on doing smart phones on prepaid. There's no way to bill for internet usage that is fair to the consumer and still profitable for them.

Lol being a manager of a retail store you would be one of the last people to know when something new was coming. Its not a personal knock on your, that's just the way the company works.

Reactions: Roxors
Upvote 0
OP, I went through a thread like this of my own just a few weeks ago. Like you I see an opportunity to use this thing even after its life as a phone has ended. I have two kids who are always looking to jump on the internet for this or that... and IMO this is a great device for doing just that.

When you throw in the GPS, MP3 player and camera/video abilities it also has, man this thing is going to make for a great little device in its own right for years to come. All of my old flip phones, and even my Blackberries just sit around collecting dust now that I'm done with them. But this device is like a mini-tablet.

That's pretty cool.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones