• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using the Android OTG drive (turn on the Thom Batsignal!)

Hi again all-

I've now gotten two Kingston 64 Gb OTG MicroDuo 3.0 for Android flashdrives (from walmart.com, 5 yr warranty & under $20 each including tax & free pickup- sku #: 554355664). I know they work OK, because I've copied stuff from my laptop to'em and played back on my Droid.

Where I'm having trouble is getting familiar with a routine for backing up files, which I need to do reliably, as my timelapse & video shots are on the large side.

The generic File Manager recognized the external drive, but I couldn't make it do any file transfers. I found reference online to using the Astro File Manager (but the rest of the instructions are obsolete and don't track on my Droid Turbo).

I get that the basic idea is to Copy and then Paste from Internal onto the External drive (instead of drag&drop), which I've managed to do successfully a couple times, but I keep getting this intermittent nag about permissions. Also, I'd like to know how to unmount the USB drive safely without shutting off the Droid completely...

Anybody got a good standard procedure?
Is there an external drive app that does backups, timed playbacks, etc?

Thanks, Don! I just hadn't scrolled down quite far enough.

If you don't mind my asking, what File Manager do you recommend?

I seem to be using the Droid camera either in glaring light or total gloom; and I need to develop an SOP for transferring the vid files with a minimum of actions. Today it was raining and I had to work thru a plastic bag...:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, the Droid is a terrific camera with a phone built in!:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones