• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Using VM F3 as MP3 player in car

LOTL

Jul 27, 2010
So i ordered an F3 at Best Buy for a friend to use mainly as an MP3 player in his car. He had a cheapo Sansa MP3 player that was on its last leg, so for $40 i thought we could toss the 32GB microSD card in the F3, plug it into the USB port in his car stereo and have a more reliable source for playing his MP3 files.
Flash drives wouldnt work tried 3 different brands.
My old Droid X worked with the 32GB microSD card, so i assumed the F3 would.
When he plugs it into his USB port, he gets a read error on his car stereo. I had him try swiping down the task bar and see what choices he was given. There was no option for USB Mass Storage Device. I believe the 2 choices were Media Sync and Camera. Neither would allow the car stereo to detect the MP3's.
Has anyone had any success using their F3 in this manner?
Hes coming over with the phone this morning and i was going to try plugging it into my computer to see if another option comes up but from another thread i read here about a similar issue, it doesnt look good.
Any help would be appreciated.

Well just tried making this thing work for an hour and no luck. Got it play via bluetooth but thats a pain in the keesta and doenst provide any control via his car stereo controls.
Connected the phone via Wifi here in the house and it downloaded 2 system software updates. Hoped that would do the trick but still no Mass Storage Device option.
Enabled USB debugging hoping maybe that might have some effect but no such luck.
Oh well i could have sworn i read here or elsewhere that someone had used this phone as i had hoped. Maybe it has to be rooted and or a ROM installed?
Ill give it a day or so and back to Best Buy itll go. Im surprised that my 4-5 year old Motorola Droid X worked and this one doesnt. Maybe i shouldnt have expected so much from a $39 phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones