• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizion Moto X DE vs. Note III

Unforgiven

...eschew obfuscation...
Administrator
  • Jun 23, 2010
    Douglas, MA
    So my GNex is really at the end of its rope. Anyone remember the one way calling, yeah, 28 months later it has reared its ugly head again. That, plus a tired battery, and a littany of other problems with the GNex that were never fixed, it's time to move on.

So, I've settled on a used Note III vs. a brand new Moto X DE. These will both be cash purchases as I am keeping my unlimited plan. I've found I can purchase either for roughly the same price.

I'm not a big custom rom person, the only time I strayed from stock on the GNex was when VZW took for ever for OTA's and then I primarily ran Shiny which is just AOSP. I just have some questions as to which I will get along better with.

Note III questions:
    I have never really used anything but stock Android, what is the learning curve with Touchwiz? I never got along with Sense on my wife's Rhyme, but her S3 seems like only minor differences. I won't have to learn an entire new UI, will I.

Is the pen really that much of a have to have. I use my smartphone for primarily calls, texts, and general data consumption (web, forums, news, twitter).

Moto X questions:
    How close to stock is the UI? It seems far closer than TW, but not AOSP.

How useful are the voice commands / shake for camera and other gimmicks?

I fairly certain that this is still Moto skinned, but please confirm as I know GE devices lose some of the enhancements (HTC One Google Experience).

General Questions:
    How are signal strength?

How is battery life?

I don't expect a bunch of folks to have owned both devices, so I'll take and appreciate input from anyone that owns or owned either.

Note III questions:
    I have never really used anything but stock Android, what is the learning curve with Touchwiz?
    Mine was zilch - I put Nova on it as soon as I got it. The N3 is my wife's first Android and she had no problem getting used to TW.

her S3 seems like only minor differences. I won't have to learn an entire new UI, will I.
    S3 to the N3? If you leave TW on, not much. If you install Nova, yes - but I think you might and up preferring it. FAR from stock Android.

Is the pen really that much of a have to have. I use my smartphone for primarily calls, texts, and general data consumption (web, forums, news, twitter).
    With my fat fingers, yes. Texting, all sorts of inputs. Try pressing a tiny button on a web page with my fingers and it's more like "select all". And grease cleans off the pen easier than it does off the screen protector.

General Questions:
    How are signal strength?
    No problem anywhere I go with an N3, but I haven't been actively looking for dead spots since I got out of the business. Never lost a call or got dropped words. Using AT&T. If I used a Sprint N3, I know where I'd get a huge dead spot - my daughter's entire house, except for about 6 square inches of one upstairs bedroom window. But Verizon, for all the bad things said about it, generally has great coverage.

How is battery life?
    Depends on use. I've gotten 4 days with almost no screen time, but a day of normal use isn't difficult.

One note. The Verizon Note 3 (the ATT&T version too) is welded shut. You can't install an unsigned ROM, you can't install a custom recovery. Safestrap lets you run mods of the Samsung ROM (look on XDA), but no CWM or TWRP.

Reactions: Unforgiven
    Upvote 0
    Thanks rukbat, I'm focused mainly on Verizon, but the battery info is great. I'm not at all a heavy user, in fact I probably trend to a light user. To me good battery life is being able to use my phone as I see fit from when I wake up and unplug it until I get home from work. Sounds like I'll be able to get that without problem on the N3.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones