• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Don't plan on officially supported custom ROMs

jkc120

Android Expert
Apr 12, 2010
El Dorado Hills, CA
For those that were hoping to have official CM/AOKP support for the VZW (and AT&T) S4, think again. :(

The bootloader "Unlock" is just a way to patch the boot image to make things work. Which means it has to be patched every time you flash. This kind of hackery means it'll never be an officially supported device. There may be some unofficial ROMs, and who knows they may be indistinguishable from an official port for supported phones.

But for me, since I'm paying full retail to save grandfather'd data plan, it's not worth the risk of having to be stuck with TouchWiz crap.

Are you really? That is cool man. What are you thinking of the device so far? Mine is stock have not even rooted it yet. Loving it.

Yep, it's a great device! I really like it so far. Having AOKP on it makes it even better! The animation lag is kind of annoying, I hope it's not a hardware issue. But it's easy to disable the animations until it's fixed. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones