• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] I Have Root. But Now What?

CoyotesFan4Evr

Android Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2011
Phoenix
OK, so I have my wife's old S3 (Verizon) and I was finally able to root it last night. Yes I know why the "finally"? Well I'll tell you, for whatever reason all other root methods wouldn't work at all. I tried safe root and I got nothing. I tried the normal method and it said my kernel was patched and couldn't be rooted. So I finally went to using the "newest" method I guess and rooted with towelroot. Now that worked like a charm. I have 2 things that bring me to writing this post. One I downloaded the newest update. I don't and probably won't have a SIM card for the phone since she has an S5 and I'm good with my HTC Droid DNA so with that being said I can't update the phone to 4.4 and I at least wanted to be on that and with root if possible and then start flashing Rom's. Now I haven't figured out how to do a recovery on the phone yet. I'm use to Motorola and HTC. This is my first time playing with a Samsung phone. So I've read and read and read on a lot of threads both here and at XDA. I'm just not seeing what I think I need. It took forever to figure out that to use the towelroot you had to go to the site on the phone. I felt dumb after figuring the out. Anyways, the push in the right direction would be awesome. Thanks!

Like what? It's a Verizon Galaxy S3. It's on JellyBean version 4.3 and I have it rooted, and hopefully unlocked now. I didn't unlock the bootloader and flashed CWM recovery and tried to go into it and I got a message telling me that unauthorized software is on the phone and to turn it off and go to a Verizon store for help. I got past that by doing a battery pull and booting into Odin mode and telling it no so it would boot into the regular software. Then I looked for how to unlock it and had to use 4shared to get EZ-Unlock to unlock the bootloader. I haven't tried to boot into CWM just yet to know if that worked but that was the easiest way to do it for me since the command prompt and commands wouldn't work for me with adb even though everything is set right on both my phone and computer. Not sure why it didn't work but if this fixed it then I'm not worried about it.

Upvote 0
I could have. But I turned the phone off and was going to reboot it after putting an old SIM card into it so it would stop telling me I don't have a SIM card and now....it won't do ANYTHING. It won't turn on, it won't light up when I plug it in to charge. It's totally dead. No idea why this happened. I didn't remove anything critical. Just went thru and disabled the normal bloat and what not. Along with deleting apps my wife had on there. So...I am unsure what to do at this point.

I've only ever seen this happen one other time and that was with a former co worker who got the phone brand new took it off the charger after a full charge and then it just turned off and wouldn't turn back on or do anything. Even another battery wouldn't make it work. I've never had this happen before, I'm really good at flashing and modding phones. I read for days on the methods out there and don't do anything until I'm comfortable I know the exact steps by heart and then the oops I goofed steps to fix any mishaps.

OK, so I have a red light now. Pulled the battery, unplugged the charger and plugged it in and the red light came on. That to me is a good sign of life. Tried powering it on and got nothing, tried booting into boot mode and got nothing. Both times the red light went off. Crap, I was just watching it and the red light went off. But that light should be a good sign of life if I'm right?

Upvote 0
Well, as much as it's acting like a hard brick I don't think it is just because the light turns on AND my laptop makes the correct noises when I plug it in. The only thing not happening is the screen turning on. But then again I can't get it into download mode either. Mostly because if it is on then the screen isn't telling me it's on by being active. I'm at a loss. This is purely a playtoy at this point and I can't even play with it. I really don't know where to go from here, much like trying to root my Kindle Fire 2 (non-HD). None of the methods out there work for that just as trying to turn this phone back on knowing I didn't remove anything critical won't work for me.

This has definitely turned me away from rooting a Samsung device in the future. I was going to try my wife's Tab 3 (wifi verison) if rooting and playing with her old phone worked out well.

Upvote 0
Now, I tried the method of downloading the hard brick file to a currently unused SD card. I put it in the phone and I still have nothing. I don't know which direction for sure to go in now that I'm at this point. I'll just keep searching the net and see what I can find. There has to be a way to bring this phone back. And I'm still bothered by how this happened and why?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones