• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Official Stable Jelly Bean...

But aren't usually the ones from the developers better than the stock one?

In my experience, yes that's true. Which is why I recommended XenonHD and Jelly Belly. I'm not sure what you're looking for with your reference to an "official' Jelly Bean. Do a nandroid. Try Xenon. See if you like it. If you don't, flash back.

Reactions: DoctorEyeSight
Upvote 0
How long will the process take guys? I am on ICS 4.0.4 AOKP B40 along with lean kernel.

Also, can I please get the links to code name, the gapps and the kernel that runs great along with codename? Thinking about trying codename first since I haven't heard of much bugs/complaints about it in it's thread.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
How's it going doc? Did you get it installed?

Hi,

I did the following:

Went into Clock Work Mod Recovery, and did a nandroid of my previous AOKP B40 ICS ROM.

Wiped Data/Cache/Dalvik/Battery Stats and went into Mounts and Storage and selected format system and selected "Yes" to format the system.

Then flashed the Codename Jelly Bean ROM (Codename-Android - 3.0.0-GN-VZN) followed by it's GApps (CNA - JB-GAPPS-20120726-signed.zip).

Rebooted phone, took about 1.5 minutes to reboot and went through activation.

Now playing around with it, especially Google Now!

Current Issues: (1) Why didn't Youtube/Google Play Music/Google Chrome and other Google Applications get installed automatically? A few applications got installed. I hope I used and installed the right GApps file. I need to install fresh my applications now from Play Store.

(2) I normally use Hotmail Application and when opening my e-mails, it does not show the attachment that comes along with the e-mail. I downloaded Adobe Reader and Documents To Go (.doc reader) and didn't resolve the issue.

(3) When logging in using the e-mail application, the screen stays on "Waiting for sync. Your email will appear soon." Waited for a while and the emails didn't appear.

(4) My Verizon Mobile does not work. States that a Client Login needs to be downloaded. I need this to work so that I can manage my talk/data limits.

Upvote 0

Hey Steven,

(1) Which Kernel works best along with Codename Jelly Bean?

(2) Does it matter if you install the ROM along with the GApps first and test it out for 24 hours and then install the Kernel a day later? Like, that wouldn't cause stability issues or corruption? Or, is it best to always install the ROM/GApps/Kernel at one shot?

Upvote 0
Hey Steven,

(1) Which Kernel works best along with Codename Jelly Bean?

(2) Does it matter if you install the ROM along with the GApps first and test it out for 24 hours and then install the Kernel a day later? Like, that wouldn't cause stability issues or corruption? Or, is it best to always install the ROM/GApps/Kernel at one shot?

1) Kernels typically vary from everyone's phone. It's best to keep a stock Codename nandroid and try out different kernels for a couple days each to gauge their performance on your phone. But after doing some simple reading in the Codename thread, it seems like LeanKernel is used the most.

2) You can install a kernel whenever you want. I typically like to try the stock kernel for a couple days (because I'm of the belief that kernels need to be broken in for a couple days) before flashing a new kernel. Whenever flashing a new one, I'll try that for 2-3 days before flashing a new one if I need one.

Upvote 0
1) Kernels typically vary from everyone's phone. It's best to keep a stock Codename nandroid and try out different kernels for a couple days each to gauge their performance on your phone. But after doing some simple reading in the Codename thread, it seems like LeanKernel is used the most.

2) You can install a kernel whenever you want. I typically like to try the stock kernel for a couple days (because I'm of the belief that kernels need to be broken in for a couple days) before flashing a new kernel. Whenever flashing a new one, I'll try that for 2-3 days before flashing a new one if I need one.

Hi,

Great. Thanks for your input. I will try it out for a couple of days and take your advice.

Do you know how to solve the issues I have mentioned above?

Upvote 0
Hi,

Great. Thanks for your input. I will try it out for a couple of days and take your advice.

Do you know how to solve the issues I have mentioned above?

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to answer any of those since it may be ROM-specific (and I've never ran Codename), but I'm sure if you ask the questions in the Codename thread, then its users would be able to answer them more adequately than what I'd be able to do :)

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to answer any of those since it may be ROM-specific (and I've never ran Codename), but I'm sure if you ask the questions in the Codename thread, then its users would be able to answer them more adequately than what I'd be able to do :)

Hi,

No worries, just posted on the Codename thread. Thanks for your reply.

Upvote 0
Current Issues: (1) Why didn't Youtube/Google Play Music/Google Chrome and other Google Applications get installed automatically? A few applications got installed. I hope I used and installed the right GApps file. I need to install fresh my applications now from Play Store.

(2) I normally use Hotmail Application and when opening my e-mails, it does not show the attachment that comes along with the e-mail. I downloaded Adobe Reader and Documents To Go (.doc reader) and didn't resolve the issue.

(3) When logging in using the e-mail application, the screen stays on "Waiting for sync. Your email will appear soon." Waited for a while and the emails didn't appear.

(4) My Verizon Mobile does not work. States that a Client Login needs to be downloaded. I need this to work so that I can manage my talk/data limits.

If you're still looking for Cyanogenmod 10 I'd recommend this page: How to upgrade Verizon Galaxy Nexus I515 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean

There's an "unofficial preview" build out but as far as I can tell it is fully functional, fast, smooth, and I can't find any bugs yet.

As far as those issues, the GAPPS linked on the page I mentioned had most of that stuff I think. I only had to re-download a few. The only problem I DO have is the My Verizon not working. I had to google for the Login Client apk but even after I installed it, the app just crashes.

EDIT: I had to mention that this "unofficial/preview" is more stable than the stable Cyanogenmod ROMs I was running on my Nexus One. I always had a bug or two with the "official" builds of Cyanogenmod but this preview build is mysteriously problem-free.

Upvote 0
If you're still looking for Cyanogenmod 10 I'd recommend this page: How to upgrade Verizon Galaxy Nexus I515 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean

There's an "unofficial preview" build out but as far as I can tell it is fully functional, fast, smooth, and I can't find any bugs yet.

As far as those issues, the GAPPS linked on the page I mentioned had most of that stuff I think. I only had to re-download a few. The only problem I DO have is the My Verizon not working. I had to google for the Login Client apk but even after I installed it, the app just crashes.

EDIT: I had to mention that this "unofficial/preview" is more stable than the stable Cyanogenmod ROMs I was running on my Nexus One. I always had a bug or two with the "official" builds of Cyanogenmod but this preview build is mysteriously problem-free.

Hi,

(2) I figured that my Hotmail attachments were not opening because the Hotmail app (Check play store) is not supported with Jelly Bean. But why would it open emails and allow me to read and reply yet not view attachments?

(3) Why is main email app still showing me the same issue?

Upvote 0
If you're waiting for the official Verizon release of JellyBean, then you're going to be waiting till (in my opinion) December at the earliest.

Lolwut?! You think it's going to take them 5 months to release JB to the VZW Nexus? Based off of what information. The Verizon Nexus got the 4.0.4 update only one month after the GSM Nexus.

I'll admit that Verizon throws a wrench into the update releases, but it's not that bad. I'll bet JB on the Verizon Nexus will be here in the next month or two at the latest.

Anyways, to answer OPs question; I would go with Pete's Bugless Beast if he wants the most stock/stable build of JB available for the Verizon Nexus. It's as stock as you can get and (knowing Pete) just as stable than stock JB on the GSM Nexus.

Upvote 0
Lolwut?! You think it's going to take them 5 months to release JB to the VZW Nexus? Based off of what information. The Verizon Nexus got the 4.0.4 update only one month after the GSM Nexus.

I'll admit that Verizon throws a wrench into the update releases, but it's not that bad. I'll bet JB on the Verizon Nexus will be here in the next month or two at the latest.

Anyways, to answer OPs question; I would go with Pete's Bugless Beast if he wants the most stock/stable build of JB available for the Verizon Nexus. It's as stock as you can get and (knowing Pete) just as stable than stock JB on the GSM Nexus.

True but that was just a small incremental update. We're talking about a milestone release here and besides, it took about 6 months to get that incremental update. I highly doubt Verizon will allow a phone that they're constantly dropping the price of to obtain such a big update. Especially if their other phones are still in the process of just now getting ICS

I'll agree and suggest Bugless Beast as well, however :)

Upvote 0
True but that was just a small incremental update. We're talking about a milestone release here and besides, it took about 6 months to get that incremental update. I highly doubt Verizon will allow a phone that they're constantly dropping the price of to obtain such a big update. Especially if their other phones are still in the process of just now getting ICS

Where are you getting 6 months to get that update? Did you see those links I posted? I assume you're talking about from the time 4.0.4 leaked (for both Nexus variants) to the time it was officially released from Google (even then, it was only a few months). It was only about a month difference between the time the GSM and Verizon Nexus got 4.0.4 OTA.

JB hasn't even officially been out for a month yet for the GSM Nexus (OTA on July 11th). Yeah, it's a bit more than the 4.0.4 update, but there isn't anything to change for the VZW Nexus except for maybe the baseband software. The Verizon Nexus is even part of Google's AOSP now. I don't believe in the political aspect of them delaying the update just because they'd rather update their Droid phones first. Why would that matter to them when all they care about is subscribers? Whether they buy a RAZR or a Blackberry, they're paying the same a month. The amount they make in subsidies is negligible across all the phones compared to what they make on the actual contract.

We'll see though. I still say we'll see the update in the next month or two. There's no point in speculating on things in which we have no information or proof on though (other than past experience; what I'm basing my opinion on).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones