• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Phone Recommendation

jbrookley

Lurker
Jun 25, 2011
So, my contract has been up with Verizon since February or March but I've been holding out on the bionic. I am currently rocking the Blackberry Tour (and by rocking, I mean, I'm ready to throw it like a rock) and with the tiered data around the corner on the 7th of July, I'm at a crossroads.

I know not everyone likes walls of text so I have a short and a long version for you.

Short Version:

I'm not excited about any of the current phones and I'd have to sacrifice unlimited data to get a decent phone with dual core, 4g, and (hopefully) decent battery life.

Should I:

1) Get one of the current phones (thunderbolt, charge, revolution, which one?)
2) Wait out for a 4G phone like the bionic (which may never come at this rate) or the samsung function/galaxy s2?
3) Just get a decent dual core 3G phone with unlimited data?

Long Version:

I was hoping to have a 4g, dual core phone with decent battery life and unlimited data but it looks like that's not an option.

These are my options:

1) LG Revolution - Very average phone and the only selling point I've heard for it is that it has netflix. That's about it.
2) HTC Thunderbolt - Abysmal battery life makes me extremely hesitant to get it but I understand it's a powerful phone and can do voice and data at the same time (which I'd probably never use) but can force 4g.
3) Samsung Charge - Looking like my best bet, supposedly has better battery life, speakers, gps, wifi, screen, etc but can't force 4g (which I understand is an issue because the phone keeps wanting to switch to 3g and, to me, would defeat the point of having a 4g phone).
4) Wait for the Samsung Function but lose out on unlimited data (it's SUPPOSED to be out by the end of july but who knows . . .)
5) Wait for Motorola Bionic (it's "supposed" to be out by summer but I don't believe them on anything anymore)
6) Get a decent 3g phone

Currently, I don't use very much data but that's primarily because my phone doesn't have wifi and 3g is AWFUL on my phone. I imagine I'd use it a lot more if I had 4g but I don't really know as I've never really used it much. I am not excited about any of the current phones but the phones that actually sound decent will be after July 7th.

What would you guys recommend? Is it worth sacrificing unlimited data for a better phone? I have no reference for how much data I would use so maybe 2gigs is enough but I'm not sure.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

I have a droid charge and I have no issue with switching to 3G. They fixed a lot of things with the last update. I love my droid charge, it does everything I need it to do and it runs at an incredibly fast 25-40mbps down but a really consistent 5-6 mbps up.

Again I am not seeing the 3g problem that you are talking about, I have 4g almost everywhere and it only switches to 3g-d when I am in an elevator blackhole basement.

Upvote 0
Little Green Robot,

You sure that's how it works? Cuz I currently have a smartphone with 2gig/mo, which is enough for me at present but I could have them switch me back to the unlimited plan. I think the issue is, while I would currently be grandfathered in like you're saying, once I get a new phone, I think I have to switch my plan to the plans currently offered (hence, losing my unlimited status if it's after July 7th), unless I am misunderstanding how that works. If it's like you say it is, I'll wait out for the bionic (if the Samsung Function only ends up being 3G like it sounds it might be).

Doc Beech,

Thanks for the input. I have been leaning towards the charge as it sounds like the best that's currently offered. If I do end up getting one of the current phones, I'll definitely get that one. Thanks for the heads up on the switching back to 3G thing. Is it true to get back to 3G+4G mode (if it switched to 3G mode for to just 3G and won't go back to 4G for whatever reason) you have to reset the phone to reinitialize it?

Thanks for the input everyone. The more info I get, the better!

Upvote 0
If you have unlimited data before July 7th, you will always have unlimited data UNLESS you change your base plan (Individual to Family, More or Less Minutes, etc.). I would say get the Charge, Revolution, or Incredible 2 until a decent 4g phone is released. Buying a new phone will not cancel unlimited data aftre July 7th, the only downside would be that you have to pay full price for the phone. You can usually find a phone cheaper on ebay or craigslist that has been used for less than a week. Just buy it and call to activate it. Your plan wont change at all. My brother is a manager at the Verizon store here and gave me the information. Im getting the Incredible 2 until a more developed 4g phone is released

Upvote 0
Nope no problems. When it does switch to 3g-d it switches right back to 4g on the fly. Currently I am getting an average of 30mbps down 7up all the time. Just an fyi. 4g is so fast I am using almost 2gigs a week on my data plan. That would mean I would be 3gigs a month over the limit on the new plan. Do the unlimited is my only choice.

Upvote 0
I'm going to try this.
Upgrade July 6th to the Charge/Thunderbolt. Work the 14 day policy. Once Verizon gets the release date on the Function/Droid, I'm going to return the temp phone and preorder my new replacement. Hopefully this works!

The problem with this plan is I believe the Samsung Function (Galaxy S2 for Verizon) is supposedly coming out July 24th, more than 14 days after the July 7th date (which I don't think is coincidence and is extremely disappointing), not to mention they STILL haven't said whether or not it's a 4G phone or not (and the motorola bionic is still nowhere in sight). Sounds like I'm going to be using a lot of data and will need the unlimited 4G from what DocBeech is saying. I'm starting to get pissed with Verizon not releasing any information. It's only a smart business plan to do it this way if they aren't going to lose customers because of it.

With the Atrix currently being a dual core "4G" phone (I understand Verizon's 4G is better) released 6 months ago, Verizon is WAY behind the curve and keeping people in the dark and giving us crap options prior to the final unlimited data date is pretty uncool. I realize that Verizon is the only company that offers unlimited 4G at the moment but as of July 7th, they're exactly the same as every other company but with inferior phone options. Two years from now, I might walk away.

But yeah, it looks like I'm going with the Samsung Charge. Sounds like the best of a crappy situation (though I'm currently using a Blackberry tour so I guess I can't complain that much can I? heh . . .).

Thanks for your help, guys!

Upvote 0
Hello all. I'm like u jbrookley, my contract has been up since February and am due an upgrade but was holding out for the GS2 or the Bionic. I was just holding on to my Storm2 but tragicly I lost it at work! So I've been bugging the hell out of Verizon to make sure that if I get a phone from ebay that uses data will I be able to keep my unlimited data once those 2 come onto the scene. They assured me that I will be ok. They said that historically when changes to plans occur that what u have at that moment u will be able to keep it if u so choose to. But I'm still at odds as to how that will happen when I use my last upgrade. One says that I still will be able to keep it and another told me that 'now, there will be changes....' So I'm too at a loss for concrete answers.:thinking:

Upvote 0
I'm so afraid of that Thefoodman! I just checked Amazon.com for the retail price of the Samsung Galaxy S2 and it's almost $700. Wow! But I have been reading other posts around the net and alot of 'em r saying historically that may not be the case. I just hope I can get through or else I'm going to go to Sprint seeing as though they r suppose to receive the GS2 also. I know their service isn't quite as good as Verizon but I'm hoping it's not that bad. I used to be with Sprint about 10years ago and it wasn't that good: dropped calls, calls within my own home was pretty bad, had to almost be plastered against the window to make a call. lol I'm hoping that they have improved on that since I've been gone. But u can't beat 2 lines of service with UNLIMITED!!!!! EVERYTHING!!!! including data for like $186. I'm so worried...:(

Upvote 0
Nothing crappy about it. The charge is a good phone. If you give o'toole the chance nothing is ever good enough. Find the positives in it. The screens great. It gets the job done. Its got hot spot built in. does video calls, and the battery is one of the longest lasting in a 4g phone.

You are right, within reason (I wouldn't say NOTHING crappy about it, being the best at battery life still doesn't make it good on battery life but it sounds like you can't compare 3G battery usage to 4G battery usage as they are completely different). It will still be an improvement over my Blackberry so it will be a good phone for me. I was just really hoping to have a dual core 4G phone but, from what I understand, the issues with the bionic are related to dual core and 4G (and I'm sure battery life is having a huge effect on it). My main concern with all the 4G phones is the battery life but it sounds like that's just the way it goes and things should improve as they improve the 4G service and how it's handled.

Thanks again, everyone.

Upvote 0
For the record, I did end up getting the samsung charge and so far, it's pretty awesome (granted, I have the Blackberry Tour as a reference point so . . .). And I managed to get about 30 hours out of it with moderate usage (and some minor tweaking), which is really not that bad. So yeah, if anyone else is in a similar boat, the charge is not as bad as some reviews lead you to believe. Later!

Upvote 0
Lots of conflicting info here on Verizon's unlimited data. Hopefully this will clear some things up.

-If you currently have an unlimited data plan, you can keep it "indefinitely" even if you change phones or renew your contract. So, hold out on the upgrade as long as you want.

-Verizon reserves the right, as AT&T does (but hasn't followed through with), to end the grandfather clause at any time.

-Changing your base plan (individual to family, for example) does NOT end your unlimited data, as previously stated. However, if you do upgrade from individual to family, any extra lines have to have their own individual TIERED data plan, while you maintain an unlimited plan for yours. The incentive that Verizon will use to get you off this is the eventual shared data plan.

So, again, go ahead and hold as as long as you want. So long as you have a smartphone unlimited data plan as of July 6th, you can keep it "indefinitely."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones