• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 gets very hot after latest Verizon update when using 4G LTE

Mine did too, it takes a while for all the apps to get updated and the OS to settle down to your habits.

I did a couple of power offs and restarts and after a couple of days, it now runs cool all the time.

The only time it gets warm anymore is when the Qi charger is working, or I am using an app that is intensive on screen redraws. ie, a mapping program tied to the GPS.

WAZE is the worst for this "feature".... WAZE will suck your data/battery dry with heavy duty data downloads all the time. It is constantly talking home to 'momma' to get updates for the social HAZMAT conditions that folks seem to enjoy. You cannot use WAZE on a long trip w/o it being plugged into a power source... my son uses it all the time, and has to use a dash mount to hold his phone in front of the a/c vent.

I quit using it simply because it is way too power hungry.

I now use CoPilot USA which has all of the North American continent USA/Canada/Alaska loaded onto the extSDcard. now, it never needs data at all. and I use it in the auto-sleep mode with audio Turn-by-turn so it does not wake the screen up.

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail, Qi wireless equipped
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen UnLock, turns WiFi ON
PureVPN when using a public WiFi

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones