• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Video Voicemail Battery Hog

I have a few Verizon branded phones on my plan and a while back they got 'updated' with that, it threw my peeps for a loop. I called Verizon and asked them to disable it and they did. Those lines just have the old voicemail function now, they have to dial in for voicemail and that's the way they like it.

The non-Verizon phones (Moto G and X's) that don't use Google Voice can also just dial in with no issue.

One of my peeps and I use Google Voicemail and love it :)

Upvote 0
I have discovered why the Verizon Visual Voicemail app was such a battery hog.

The problem was caused because I didn't setup the voicemail account properly. During setup I was prompted to select a plan. There was Premium Visual Voicemail and Basic Visual Voicemail. I wasn't familiar with either one of them so I didn't make a selection. I thought it would default to something safe and I was able to listen to my voicemail. However, the app and google services were running wild and could discharge the battery in something like one hour in some cases. I cleared system cache and app cache and then Voice Mail needed setup again. This time I went to My Verizon and investigated the choices and selected Basic Visual Voicemail and made the same selection during setup in the app on the phone.

No more battery hog problems from the Verizon Visual Voicemail app. You must select which service you want Basic or Premium or there will be a malfunction that drains your battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones